Monday 16 September 2019

Cloughbawn best in derby

Defeat for 14-man Rathnure

Brian Quigley of Rathnure moves in on Harry kehoe (Cloughbawn)
Brian Quigley of Rathnure moves in on Harry kehoe (Cloughbawn)

Dave Devereux

Cloughbawn kept their composure to reel in close neighbours Rathnure and kick on when it mattered in Group B of the Pettitt's Senior hurling championship in Bellefield on Sunday.

Cloughbawn 1-18 Rathnure 3-8

Despite being reduced to 14 men when Antony O'Connell was sent-off late in the first-half, Rathnure still had their noses in front with 44 minutes on the clock but a Paul Foley goal edged Cloughbawn ahead and they never looked back thereafter.

Harry Kehoe was really to the fore in the last ten minutes as he contributed the final three points to seal a satisfying second victory of the campaign for Cloughbawn.

When O'Connell received his marching orders on 27 minutes, Rathnure were holding a 2-5 to 0-8 advantage but Cloughbawn added to the woes of the black and ambers by shooting four quickfire points to take the lead.

Things looked to have swung firmly in Cloughbawn's favour but Rathnure got the fillip they needed just before the interval when Ciarán O'Connor pounced for their third goal to give his side a 3-5 to 0-12 half-time advantage.

Cloughbawn got the first two points on the board through Barry Carton and Harry Kehoe, but they also suffered an early setback when Connal Flood had to retire injured with just four minutes gone.

Rathnure then enjoyed a period of supremacy, scoring 1-4 without reply, with Aidan Redmond opening their account and Shane Lawlor racing through on goal and booting the ball to the back of the net.

Ciarán O'Connor, Robbie Codd and Shane Lawlor then split the posts before Cloughbawn enjoyed a purple patch of their own, replying with four points from Harry Kehoe, and one apiece from Barry Carton and Colm Kehoe, to take a 0-8 to 1-4 advantage.

However, Rathnure were back with a bang when Michael Redmond blocked down an attempted clearance and kept his cool to fire a ground stroke beyond Noel Carton.

A Ciarán O'Connor free put Rathnure two up, but they were quickly brought back down to earth when referee Damien Donovan showed Antony O'Connell a red card.

Cloughbawn were quick to twist the knife and points from Harry Kehoe, Paul Foley, Bob Whitty and Alan Carton had them firmly in the ascendancy, but Rathnure showed they weren't willing to let this one go without a fight.

In the third minute of time added on in the first-half, Ciarán O'Connor gathered a Michael Redmond delivery and sent a rasping shot to the corner of the net to reignite the hopes of the Rathnure faithful.

Those hopes were raised further on the resumption as Shane Lawlor and Ciarán O'Connor fired over the first two scores of the half, but Bob Whitty and Martin Kehoe replied either side of a decent goal chance for the men in green and white.

Paul Foley latched on to a long ball that fell kindly into his path but Rathnure goalkeeper Dermot Flynn got down well to smother his kicked effort.

Shane Lawlor and Colm Kehoe then exchanged points, before Rathnure were hit with the killer blow in the 45th minute.

Paul Foley broke the ball to Martin Kehoe, who played a return pass, and Foley cleverly scooped a volleyed effort to the net to put Cloughbawn 1-15 to 3-8 ahead.

Once they had taken the lead Cloughbawn were never going to loosen their grip, and Harry Kehoe added a hat-trick of points to wrap up the win.

Cloughbawn: Noel Carton; M.J. Furlong, Tomás Furlong, Gavin Murphy; Davin Murphy, Páidí Cullen, Barry Kehoe; Harry Kehoe (0-9, 5 frees, 1 '65), Colm Kehoe (0-2); Barry Carton (0-2), Alan Carton (0-1), Connal Flood; Billy Wickham, Paul Foley (1-1), Bob Whitty (0-2). Subs. - Joey Lawlor for Flood, Martin Kehoe (0-1) for Lawlor, Johnny Cullen for Wickham.

Rathnure: Dermot Flynn; Denis Maher, Brendan O'Leary, James Flynn; Seán O'Neill, Brian Quigley, Antony O'Connell, Podge Doyle, Paddy Whiteley; Michael Redmond (1-0), Ciarán O'Connor (1-3, 0-3 frees), Aidan Redmond (0-1); Shane Lawlor (1-3), Seánie Redmond, Robbie Codd (0-1). Subs. - Richie Flynn for S. Redmond, Syl Barron for M. Redmond.

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read