Wednesday 23 October 2019

Cloughbawn make up for football loss

Eanna Doyle is presented the cup by Marguerite Furlong, Vice-Chairperson, Coiste na nOg, and Dean Goodison of People Newspapers
Eanna Doyle is presented the cup by Marguerite Furlong, Vice-Chairperson, Coiste na nOg, and Dean Goodison of People Newspapers

Dean Goodison

Cloughbawn partially made up for the disappointment of losing the New Ross Standard Coiste na nOg Under-14 Division 4 football final by beating Oylegate-Glenbrien to take the Division 5 13-a-side 'A' hurling shield against Oylegate-Glenbrien in St. Patrick's Park on Saturday.

Cloughbawn 6-7 O-Gate-Glenbrien 4-5

The champions were in irresistible form throughout much of the match, with captain fantastic Eanna Doyle driving his troops on from midfield and deadly attacker Patrick Whitty making the most of the opportunities that his team-mate created.

While Doyle and Whitty were the star men, Cloughbawn got great performances all over the pitch. It's always difficult to defend as a two-man full-back line, but Fionn Codd and Neil Foley did a sensational job, only conceding a single goal until an Oylegate-Glenbrien blitz in added time.

Ahead of the back two an industrious half-back line was the bedrock for many a quality forward move, while those up front really contributed to an all-round impressive attacking display from the winners.

Gary Kehoe and Doyle already had points on the board when Whitty netted from Mickey Fleming's pass to make it 1-2 to nil after just 80 seconds. While Whitty kept the scoreboard ticking over, Oylegate-Glenbrien did get back into the game after Liam Flood was sin-binned.

Paudie Casey grabbed their first point, followed by Michael Kinsella, and when the same man found the rigging, after Joseph Whelan superbly picked him out, Oylegate-Glenbrien were back in the game at 1-5 to 1-3 behind.

Cloughbawn started to purr after Flood came back on, and when Gary Kehoe's long ball fell to Whitty the attacker made no mistake from close range. Whitty completed his hat-trick just before half-time to see his side in 3-6 to 1-3 ahead at the interval.

Kinsella scored his third point shortly after the re-start before a lean spell for both sides saw 14 minutes pass without a score. The hiatus was broken by two killer goals in as many minutes as first Eanna Doyle, and then Shane Kehoe, found the rigging (5-6 to 1-4).

Doyle's second classy major in ten minutes increased the lead further but Oylegate-Glenbrien kept battling and pulled three goals back in added time.

Casey and James Moulton got the first two, before Gary Kennedy pointed at the other end, while Kinsella also netted from a free to put a fairer reflection on the scoreboard.

Cloughbawn: Ryan Murphy; Fionn Codd, Neil Foley; Ciarán Murphy, Liam Flood, Michael Murphy; Gary Kehoe (0-1), Eanna Doyle (capt., 2-2, 0-1 free); Nick Walkden, Shane Kehoe (1-0), Mickey Fleming; Patrick Whitty (3-3, 0-1 free), Daniel Murphy. Subs. - Dillon O'Neill for D. Murphy (25+1), Gary Kennedy (0-1) for Fleming (47), Darragh Redmond for G. Kehoe (47), Darragh Kehoe for C. Murphy (47), Eamonn Byrne for S. Kehoe (48), also Nathan McDonald, Jack Feeney.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Conor Murphy; Darragh Casey, Adam Byrne; John Nolan, Mikey Nolan, Bobby Freeman; Joseph Whelan, Paudie Casey (1-2, 0-1 '65); James Moulton (1-0), Jack Freeman, Niall Mernagh; Mikie Kelly, Michael Kinsella (capt., 2-3, 1-1 frees). Subs. - Ryan Cullen for Mernagh (25+1), Cameron Clarke for J. Nolan (37), Cian McCormack for Whelan (48), also Adam Roche, Conal Byrne.

Referee: Paddy Brady (Ballygarrett).

Wexford People

Most Read