Sunday 20 October 2019

Codd's goalkeeping heroics foil Cloughbawn

ST. ANNE'S were indebted to goalkeeper Joe Codd as they edged past Cloughbawn to claim their first win of the season in the Pettitt's Senior hurling championship Group B at O'Kennedy Park on Sunday last.

Shot-stopper Codd was in top form and repelled a barrage of late Cloughbawn efforts to see the Rathangan side over the line and back on track for a place in the last eight.

After easing into a 0-12 to 0-5 lead and with only ten minutes left in the clash, it looked like St. Anne's would run out reasonably comfortable winners. However Codd, who had already kept out a Martin Kehoe goal-bound shot, saved a rocket from M.J. Furlong, another from Kehoe, and then prevented Gavin Murphy from goaling when the forward arrowed a shot towards the roof of the net.

Cloughbawn, desperately missing the influence of midfielder Harry Kehoe, started brightly too. The Enniscorthy District side led by 0-2 to 0-1 after a pair of Joey Lawlor frees and, despite being on the receiving end of three Kevin Whelan dead balls, continued to match St. Anne's point-for-point to the 20th minute (0-4 each).

St. Anne's finished the half the stronger, with Redmond Barry and Pierce White both on target, and when Whelan brought his tally to five points in the period, the lead stood at three (0-8 to 0-5) and Cloughbawn looked set for a tough second-half challenge.

Three more Whelan placed balls within five minutes of the resumption had St. Anne's well in the ascendency. However, a 15-minute spell without a score for either side gave Cloughbawn time to re-group and with the introduction of Paul Foley they immediately carried a bigger threat.

Colm Kehoe, himself making an impressive cameo, traded minors with Pierce White (0-12 to 0-6) before Codd kept out a string of goalbound shots. During the deluge Foley added a pair of dead balls but St. Anne's almost wrapped up the win themselves on a counter-attack, with White being denied by Noel Carton after superb inter-play between Aidan and Liam Rochford.

After surviving the pressure, Redmond Barry sealed victory with a settler in the 60th minute and despite Alan Carton hitting back immediately St. Anne's held on for an invaluable two points.

St. Anne's: Joe Codd; Tomás Cullen, David Fogarty, Joe O'Connor; Pádraig O'Keeffe, Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Kenny Cloney; Kevin Whelan (0-8, 6 frees, 1 '65), Jonathan Fogarty; David O'Connor, Aidan Rochford, Redmond Barry (0-2); Pierce White (0-2), Francis Simpson, Liam Rochford (0-1). Subs. - Mark Furlong for Simpson, Jess Codd for White.

Cloughbawn: Noel Carton; David Doyle-Murphy, Tomás Furlong, Tony Keating; Eamonn Buckley, Barry Kehoe, Davin Murphy; Alan Carton (0-1), M.J. Furlong (0-1); Barry Carton, Gavin Murphy, Martin Kehoe; Joey Lawlor (0-3 frees), Colin Doyle, Thomas Foley (0-1). Subs. - Colm Kehoe (0-1) for Doyle, Paul Foley (0-2, 1 free, 1 '65) for Lawlor, Paudie Cullen for Keating, inj., Michael Redmond for Foley.

Referee: Damien Donovan (St. John's).

Wexford People

Most Read