Sunday 18 August 2019

Counsel have crucial edge

Derby win in junior decider

Conor Hearne and Eoin Porter follow the flight of the ball
Conor Hearne and Eoin Porter follow the flight of the ball
Thomas O'Connor of Good Counsel gives his St. Peter's namesake, Barry, the slip

Brendan Furlong

Good Counsel's dominance on the football scene continued as a result of their comfortable seven-point victory over a disappointing St. Peter's side in this South Leinster Post Primary Schools Junior football 'A' final at Bellefield on Tuesday.

Good Counsel 2-8 St Peter's 1-4

Silverware in the south-east has been dominated by the New Ross college side. They braved the cold conditions with a strong breeze to dominate this game, clearly sniffing out the early challenge of their opponents.

Good Counsel, the reigning All-Ireland champions at this level, showed from the start their intentions of delivering a victory. Dominant in the crucial sections of the pitch, their midfield pairing of Andrew Walsh and Darragh Lyons, both from the St. James' club, were in total control of this sector for the most part.

St. Peter's tried hard to stay in the game, but their defence came under consistent pressure, while the attack was somewhat devoid of ideas. Their solitary goal only arrived four minutes from the end but the result was inevitable from very early on.

Through the opening minutes, St. Peter's kicked two point chances wide, while Good Counsel, in their first really threatening attack after five minutes, scored a rather fortuitous goal. The ever-dangerous Jamie Myler, another promising talent from the St. James' club, sent a dipping shot towards the right-hand post, but as 'keeper Richard Ryan was about to collect it, wing-forward Seán Nolan nipped in ahead of him to flick the ball to the net.

With St. Peter's finding it difficult to recover from this setback, they fell further in arrears at the end of the opening quarter when midfielder Andrew Walsh increased his side's lead to 1-1 to nil.

The Wexford town college had to wait until the 18th minute for their opening score, a Barry O'Connor point.

The sides went on to exchange points through Andrew Walsh and O'Connor to leave Good Counsel leading by 1-2 to 0-2 at the interval.

Within three minutes of the re-start a sweeping move led to Jamie Myler kicking over a delightful long-range point.

And two minutes later the game was put beyond doubt when Luke Sinnott finished a neat Myler ball into the goalmouth to the net, giving his side a 2-3 to 0-2 lead.

The game dropped in intensity thereafter as points from Thomas O'Connor, with a fine 40-metre free off the ground followed by a second free, along with an excellent Luke Sinnott effort from out on the left them with a 2-6 to 0-2 lead after 41 minutes.

From there on it was just damage limitation for St. Peter's who had their opening second-half score at the end of the third quarter through Conor Firman.

Four minutes from the end midfielder David Gouldson found the net through a crowded goalmouth for a consolation goal. Just to show their dominance though, Good Counsel returned to the attack for an Eoin Porter pointed free.

Good Counsel: Darragh O'Connor; James O'Shea, Mark O'Neill, Jack Walsh; Sam Wall, Eoin Porter (0-1 free), Richard Gill; Andrew Walsh (0-2), Darragh Lyons; Seán Nolan (1-0), Thomas O'Connor (0-2 frees), Rory Higgins; Jamie Myler (0-1), Luke Sinnott (1-2), Gavin Sheehan. Sub. - Jimmy Sutton for Gill, black card (41).

St. Peter's: Richard Ryan; Ger Dempsey, Cathal Devereux, Michael Codd; Quinn Saunders, Conor Firman (0-1), Finn O'Driscoll; David Gouldson (1-0), Rory O'Connor; Ben Maddock, Barry O'Connor (0-2, 1 free), Conor Hearne; Dylan Lyne, Ben Moore, Kyle Firman (0-1). Sub. - Adam Cantwell for K. Firman (52).

Referee: Brendan Hickey (Kildare).

Wexford People

Most Read