Thursday 18 January 2018

Counsel lose to keen rivals

Defeat in Leinster decider

Dean Goodison

Owen Lennon of Good Counsel takes on Ciarán Mullen
Owen Lennon of Good Counsel takes on Ciarán Mullen
Jack Elliott of Good Counsel taking aim
Jamie Sheehan on the ball for Good Counsel in Friday's Leinster final as Killian Rudkins closes in

A brave Good Counsel outfit came up a little short in the Top Oil Leinster Post Primary Schools Juvenile hurling 'A' final against a talented St. Kieran's side in Thomastown on Friday.

St.Kieran's 4-13 Good Counsel 3-6

The New Ross school had a right good go at claiming the Dr. Barry Cup and were within just two points after 48 minutes (3-8 to 3-6).

However, after playing second fiddle for the third quarter, St. Kieran's accelerated away with a powerful finish.

There was little to suggest the pressure the Kilkenny stronghold would be under after racing into a 2-5 to 1-1 lead after 22 minutes against the breeze.

A driving run and smashing finish from the superb Conor Kelly opened the scoring for the champions.

However, Good Counsel replied when Conor Kehoe swept a loose ball to the net in the fifth minute, and again with an A.J. Redmond free after Alex Moore had pointed to give the Kilkenny boys another lead (1-1 each).

The New Ross school didn't score again until the 26th minute, by which time St. Kieran's had built a seven-point advantage on the back of a Darragh Maher goal. Only on the field three minutes, Jack Elliott goaled from long range before following with another point.

When Pádraig Dempsey pointed from a free, Good Counsel were within two (2-5 to 2-3). Yet, St. Kieran's scored a fantastic goal before the break, with Ciarán Mullen controlling a Peter Donohoe pull before stroking it past Kyle Martin for a 3-6 to 2-3 interval advantage.

Kehoe pulled home his second goal four minutes after the re-start and suddenly his side had belief.

They chipped away with points Jamie Sheehan and A.J. Redmond, and saw Martin make a fantastic diving save from Alex Moore, but could get no closer than two points.

Leading by 3-8 to 3-6 heading into the final eleven minutes, St. Kieran's finished with a flourish. They added a string of fantastic points and topped a well-deserved victory with a smashing Alex Moore goal five minutes from time.

Good Counsel: Kyle Martin; Dylan Whelan, Jack Kehoe, Ian Mansfield; Donal Porter, Pádraig Dempsey (0-1 free), Emmet Cullen; Jason Byrne, Darragh Roche; Colman O'Sullivan, Jamie Sheehan (0-2), Luke Byrne-Doyle; Pádraig Whitty, A.J. Redmond (0-2 frees), Conor Kehoe (2-0). Subs. - Jack Elliott (1-1) for Whelan (23), Owen Lennon for Whitty (31), also Anthony O'Connor, Robin Davis, Joe O'Sullivan, Paudie O'Shea, Cian Byrne, John Harpur, Killian Griffin, Brian Walsh, Fionn Codd, Neil Ennis, Cathal Cummins, Seán McCormack, Philip Roche.

St. Kieran's: Stephen Keoghan; Liam Barron, David Fogarty, Kieran Buckley; Harry Walsh, Pádraig Moylan, Jamie Harkin; Conor Kelly (1-5, 0-3 frees, 0-1 '65), Killian Rudkins; Oisín Egan, Alex Moore (1-2), Darragh Maher (1-2); Stephen Barron (0-3), Peter Donohoe (0-1), Ciarán Mullen (1-0).

Referee: Pat Moran (Laois).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links