Saturday 17 August 2019

Crosbie grabs winning goal with five minutes left

All-county football league semi-finals

St James' overcame Adamstown in a tight affair in the All-County Football League Division 5 semi-final on Tuesday.

St James' 1-12 Adamstown 1-11

A goal from Tom Crosbie with five minutes remaining proved to be the crucial score of a game that was end to end.

St. James' started much better and took a four-point lead within the first twelve minutes without reply after three scores from play by Donal Barron, Stuart Dunning and Alan Walsh followed by a Dunning free from close range.

Peter Finn slotted over after 15 minutes to open Adamstown's account after fine move.

Stuart Dunning, who was very accurate with the placed ball, added two more frees to leave the home side 0-6 to 0-1 up after 17 minutes.

Mervyn Moloney scored from distance and Shane Bradley pointed with the outside of the boot from a tight angle before Ian Stafford converted from 21 yards as Adamstown came more into it.

The first goal came when Ian Stafford linked well with Peter Finn who turned his man and buried past John Ryan, and the teams were now level coming up to the break.

However, Adamstown struggled with their discipline all game and Dunning from a free and Richie Waters from a placed ball followed by a fine individual score from Donal Barron had the home side ahead by two at the break.

Adamstown dominated the opening exchanges of the second-half as Mervyn Moloney scored two well-worked points followed by an Ian Stafford free. Adamstown then suffered two quick black cards, one resulting in a penalty for St. James', but Donal Barron's penalty was tame and Shane Dunphy saved.

Adamstown led by 1-8 to 0-10 coming into the last quarter, and when Eoin Furlong and Ian Stafford pointed from play along with a close-range free, the game looked like it only had one winner with nine minutes remaining.

However, St. James' did not give up and the introduction of William Murphy to midfield made a difference. The crucial score came when wing-back Tom Crosbie netted from a tight angle after a solo a run, his shot looping in over the head of Shane Dunphy and cannoning in off the post.

St. James' then took control and a point from Stuart Dunning followed before his pinpoint long-range free which was the clincher.

St. James': John Ryan; Morgan White, Adam Long, Joe Kehoe; Tom Crosbie (1-0), Brian Kennedy, Aaron Curry; Andrew Walsh, Liam Murphy; Tommy Walsh, Dermot Keating, Alan Walsh (0-1); Richie Waters (0-1 free), Stuart Dunning (0-8, 6 frees), Donal Barron (0-2). Subs. - William Murphy for Alan Walsh (35), Niall Kennedy for Barron (55).

Adamstown: Shane Dunphy; John French, John Whelan, Jack Curtis; Stephen English, Ian Bradley, Paudge Wickham; Thomas Furlong, Vinnie Doheny; Shane Bradley (0-1), Ian Stafford (0-5, 3 frees), Mervyn Moloney (0-3); Peter Finn (1-1), Ciarán Foley, Eoin Furlong (0-1). Subs. - Alan Bradley for Foley, inj. (10), Michael Curtis for Wickham, black card (20), Pat Delaney for French, black card (47), Jason Whitty for Whelan, inj. (50), Liam Stafford for Whitty, black card (55).

Referee: John Diskin (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Most Read