Sunday 18 August 2019

Crossabeg-Ballymurn crush Duffry

Brendan Furlong

Crossabeg-Ballymurn took two valuable points with a hugely-impressive ten-point victory over an erratic Duffry Rovers outfit in The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship Group A game at Fr. Murphy Park, Enniscorthy, on Thursday.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn 0-19 Duffry Rovers 0-9

After an even start with the sides still deadlocked (0-4 each) at the end of the opening quarter, the eventual winners took control in the lead-up to the interval, at which stage they had moved into a four-point lead.

As the second-half progressed their dominance became more pronounced, as they asserted themselves on the game despite the physical approach of some of the Duffry side which in turn led to a string of yellow cards, with a couple of players extremely lucky not to have received red for some wild pulls.

Niall Murphy and Brian Clince exchanged pointed frees during the opening minutes, with a Bill Eviston point putting his side in front before a further Clince point restored parity.

Niall Murphy and Clince went on to exchange two points apiece as little separated the sides.

Entering the closing five minutes of the half the sides were still deadlocked at 0-7 each, but the Wexford District side finished the half strongly with two excellent Oisín Foley points, while David Jackman and a huge Pádraig Foley 80-metre free left them leading by 0-11 to 0-7 at the interval.

There was a controversial moment seven minutes before the break when the inrushing Jackman blocked an attempted Niall Maher clearance, with one umpire signalling a goal, but after brief consideration referee John Tobin eventually disallowed the goal, as the ball had gone through the side-netting.

The second-half failed to produce anything of real quality as the Crossabeg-Ballymurn side stepped up their dominance, with Niall Murphy on target with points along with efforts from Pádraig Foley (free) and David Jackman, while Alan O'Neill managed one in between for the losers.

Having managed to restrict their opponents to just two second-half points, the eventual winners finished with points from Murphy (free), Conor Devereux and Sam Kelly to run out the most comfortable of winners.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn: Mark Dempsey; Martin Redmond, Paul Larrissy, Matty Sludds; Cormac O'Rourke, Pádraig Foley (0-3, 2 frees), Paddy Devereux; Bill Eviston (0-1), Conor Devereux (0-1); Oisín Foley (0-4), Sam Kelly (0-1), Barry Murphy; Niall Murphy (0-7, 6 frees), Andy Butler, David Jackman (1-2). Subs. - Alan Byrne for P. Foley, temp. (1-8), T.J. Parle for Larrissy (38), Eoin McDonald for B. Murphy (51).

Duffry Rovers: Niall Maher; Cathal Clince, Donie Doyle, James Codd; Feargal Kenny, Paul Nolan (0-1), Aidan Byrne; Brian Clince (0-4, 3 frees), Johnny Flynn-O'Connor; Liam Pender, Jason Rackard (0-1), Thomas Dunne (0-2); Robert Frayne, Alan O'Neill (0-1), Donie O'Connor.

Referee: John Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read