Saturday 17 August 2019

Davidstown secure a crucial two points

Adamstown now facing uphill battle

The successful Davidstown-Courtnacuddy team
The successful Davidstown-Courtnacuddy team
Oran French gets in a Davidstown-Courtnacuddy clearance as Rory O’Brien of Adamstown attempts the block
Páuric Wickham kicks for Adamstown despite the presence of Eoin Furlong and James Doyle

Dean Goodison

With two games left to play, Davidstown-Courtnacuddy provisionally moved into a semi-final place at the expense of opponents Adamstown after victory in the New Ross Standard Coiste na nOg Under-14 Division 4 tie at Boolabawn on Thursday.

D'town-C'cuddy 4-5 Adamstown 1-9

The visitors came into the game hanging on to their place in the top four, knowing failure to win would leave them with an uphill battle to reach the semi-final proper.

The points were equally vital for the hosts who were sitting in sixth before the fixture.

The game looked to be going Adamstown's way as they fought back from Seán Fitzpatrick's goal 16 seconds after half-time, which left them 3-3 to 1-5 behind, all the way to level pegging after slotting five points in a row through Rory O'Brien, James Dunleavy and Jack Gaffney (three).

With just six minutes on the clock when Gaffney equalised the next score was, understandably, vital and it was Jim Doyle who registered it with a nice point from right of the posts for Davidstown-Courtnacuddy.

The killer blow came a minute from the end of normal time when Eoin Furlong's shot was blocked initially but he followed up to goal off the foot of the right-hand post to put his side 4-4 to 1-9 ahead.

Hard-working Rory O'Loughlin put a seal on the win with a point that his performance deserved to send Davidstown-Courtnacuddy into their final pair of games, against two of the bottom three in the table, with their destiny in their own hands.

Earlier, Adamstown opened the scoring through the impressive Páuric Wickham in the first minute but quickly fell behind to a Darragh Furlong goal and a point from the excellent Eoin Furlong.

After Wickham's second minor, the Enniscorthy District side's second goal followed in the ninth minute when Eoin Furlong's free flew into the roof of the net from fully 30 metres out (2-1 to 0-2).

Sam Whelan made the lead six points but determined Adamstown responded with a point from O'Brien and a quick-fire 1-1 from Wickham.

Eoin Furlong notched the final point of the half for his side to leave them 2-3 to 1-4 up at the change-around, and they were just about able to cling on to a vital victory.

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy: Jordan Feeley; Cian Jordan, Eddie Kelly, Aaron Nicholson; James Doyle, Oran Ffrench, Barry Hassey; Jim Doyle (0-1), Sam Whelan (0-1); Conor Blythe (capt.), Eoin Furlong (2-2, 1-0 free), Aaron Groarke; Seán Fitzpatrick (1-0), Rory O'Loughlin (0-1), Darragh Furlong (1-0). Subs. - Cillian Doyle for Ffrench, black card (18), Oisٕín Hayes for D. Furlong (38), D. Furlong for E. Furlong (49), also David Treacy.

Adamstown: Jack Viera; James Dillon, Ciarán English, Martin Clooney; David O'Gorman, James Dunleavy (capt., 0-1 free), Eoin O'Gorman; Páuric Wickham (1-3), Chris Mahon; Jack Gaffney (0-3), Shane Finn, Rory O'Brien (0-2 frees); Raymond Roche, Sam Dunne, Tom Roche. Subs. - Craig Wall for R. Roche (28), Tristan McManus for T. Roche (44), Tomás Jackman for Finn (49), also Colin Stephenson.

Referee: James Owens (Kilrush).

Wexford People

Most Read