Saturday 17 August 2019

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy display fluency on way to title

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy 5-10 St. Mary's (Rosslare) 1-2

John O’Neill presents the shield to Conal Kervick, the Davidstown-Courtnacuddy captain
John O’Neill presents the shield to Conal Kervick, the Davidstown-Courtnacuddy captain
The victorious Davidstown-Courtnacuddy squad

Brendan Furlong

Playing with great fluency throughout, Davidstown-Courtnacuddy won their Féile Peil Under-14 Davision 3 final with some ease over St. Mary's (Rosslare) in the final played in Oylegate.

They were never led in this game as they took the initiative from the opening exchanges with Barry Hassey and Cillian Doyle dominant in midfield, while Conal Kervick played excellent attacking football from the centre-forward position.

St. Mary's battled right through the 40 minutes but they lacked the individual dominance as shown by the opposition in key positions. As a result they struggled for scores as the attack received a very limited supply of quality ball.

Conal Kervick opened the scoring with a point inside the opening minute, while two minutes later skilful wing-forward Seán Fitzpatrick finished a move with an excellent shot to the corner of the net. After Oisín Hayes pointed, they went on to extend their lead through Fitzpatrick's second goal after eleven minutes.

With Alex Looney and Adam Mackey striving to get St. Mary's back into the game, their hopes were lifted when William Lyng finished an excellent move to the net, but he eventual winners still led by 2-3 to 1-1 at the interval.

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy continued to enjoy territorial advantage on the resumption, with Conal Kervick adding two points within three minutes of the re-start.

And when David Treacy kicked his side's third goal after 24 minutes, leaving them leading by 3-6 to 1-1, the result was a foregone conclusion.

While Ben Power had Rosslare's opening second-half point on 28 minutes, they were unable to haul themselves back into the game despite their best efforts as the eventual winners went on to add further goals through Jack O'Regan and Barry Hassey to secure the title in impressive fashion.

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy: T.J. Kelly; Tom Quigley, James Doyle, Evan Power; Daniel Murphy, Fionn Doyle, Oisín Cooney; Barry Hassey (1-0), Cillian Doyle; Seán Fitzpatrick (2-0), Conal Kervick (0-8, 1 free), David Treacy (1-0); Craig Andrews, Oisín Hayes (0-1), Darragh Furlong. Subs. - Dylan Sharkey for Quigley, Jack O'Regan (1-0) for Andrews, also Evan Williamson, Seán Nicholson, Calum Murphy, Joe Doyle, Conor Hassey, Alan Crean, Shaun Fehily.

St. Mary's: Seán Redmond; Danny Howlin, Alex Mulvihill, Conor Murphy; Finn O'Donohue, Nathan Whitehead, Shane Fortune; Alex Looney, Tadhg Hayes; David O'Rourke, Ben Power (0-1), Kyle Sinnott; William Lyng (1-0), Adam Mackey (0-1), Darragh Hayes. Subs. - Adam Lambert for Hayes, Garvan Woodcock for Hayes, Cian Barry for Sinnott, Eoin Byrne for Lyng, also Alex Mulvihill, Jack O'Hagan, Sam Hoffheinz, Eoghan Byrne, Kyle Clarke.

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read