Wednesday 16 October 2019

Davidstown's delight after extra-time

Rory Loughlin of D'town-C'cuddy with Dean Goodison (People Newspapers) and Margueritte Furlong
Rory Loughlin of D'town-C'cuddy with Dean Goodison (People Newspapers) and Margueritte Furlong
The triumphant squad
The Kilmore squad

Dean Goodison

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy had that little bit too much in the tank in extra-time as they saw off Kilmore to take the New Ross Standard Coiste na nOg Under-14 hurling Division 5 13-a-side 'B' shield in St. Patrick's Park on Saturday.

D'town-C'cuddy 6-3 Kilmore 3-5 AET

In a tense, tight game, the seasiders looked set to take the spoils when Luke Hunt emerged from a melee with possession of the sliothar and drilled his shot past David Tracey for the lead goal with eight minutes remaining.

However, the pressure, mounting for a while, told four minutes from time when impact substitute Seán Fitzpatrick fed Owen Furlong and he drove in to goal and send the game to extra-time.

It's difficult enough for 13 to do the work of 15 on a full pitch but even harder when you lose one more as Kilmore did when Eoghan Barry was sent-off in the second-half for a wild pull on Oran French.

Letter of the law suggests that the red card was justified but players at this level are just developing technique and timing and the swing looked more mistimed than malicious - although it did also end the excellent French's afternoon early.

The dynamic midfielder had been instrumental in keeping the game deadlocked in the first-half with a personal tally of 1-1 and an assist for Charlie Dunne's goal. Kilmore had led by 1-4 to 1-1 following a long-range goal and two points from Chris O'Connor as well as minors from Jack Doyle and Michael Harvey.

Level at 1-4 to 2-1, that scoreline became 2-4 to 3-1 at full-time as both sides added a goal each in the second-half. The first score was likely to be vital in extra-time and Oisín Hayes got it, finding the net after his initial effort came down off the crossbar.

Cian Murphy-Reddy responded with a point but Seán Fitzpatrick hit the net before the break in overtime to give his side a 5-1 to 2-5 lead.

The tie was put to bed by a Furlong point and 1-1 from super-sub Oisín Hayes in the early stages of the second period, and while Conor Scallan scored a classy late consolation goal there was no denying Davidstown-Courtnacuddy the victory.

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy: David Tracey; Cian Jordan, Eddie Kelly, Aaron Nicholson; James Doyle, Rory Loughlin (capt.); Barry Hassey, Oran French (1-1); Sam Whelan, Jim Doyle, Owen Furlong (1-1); Brandon O'Reilly, Charlie Dunne (1-0). Subs. - Connell Kervick for Jim Doyle (34), Seán Fitzpatrick (1-0) for French, inj. (36), Oisín Hayes (2-1, 0-1 free) for Whelan (49), Fionn Doyle for Nicholson (67), Darragh Furlong for Jordan (67), also Cillian Doyle, Oisín Cooney.

Kilmore: Rian Carroll; Seán Maddock, Seán Carley; Daniels Skerskins, Eoghan Barry (joint capt.), Callum Bates; Jack Doyle (0-1), Chris O'Connor (joint capt., 1-2, 0-1 free); Conor Scallan (1-0), Michael Harvey (0-1); Jack Lambert, Luke Hunt (1-0), Cian Murphy-Reddy (0-1). Subs. - Pierce McDonnell for Bates (38), Ollie Pierce for Barry (red card replacement, 51), Dillon Crowley for Hunt (61), also Shay Doyle.

Referee: Damien Donovan (St. John's).

Wexford People

Most Read