Sunday 18 August 2019


Hogues held by Clongeen

Dean Goodison

Ballyhogue and Clongeen will have to do it all again after extra-time failed to separate them in an entertaining All-County Football League Division 5 semi-final in Bree on Sunday.

Ballyhogue 2-12 Clongeen 3-9 (AET)

The hosts looked set to take victory after overcoming a seven-point (2-6 to 0-5) interval deficit to lead by three heading into added time. However, Clongeen hit back with a punched Shane Kilkenny goal from Stephen Bennett's hopeful punt forward to send the game to overtime (3-7 to 2-10).

The New Ross District side played with the breeze in the first-half of extra-time and moved in front with two Willie McDonald points against a solitary Mick Condon free.

However, the score of the day from Seán Ring - after what initially looked like a crazy decision to shoot from the right touchline, just a few yards from the endline - was the only point of the second period, meaning the sides finished deadlocked and require a replay.

Ballyhogue came into the game as marginal favourites, having won all six of their league games. They started brightly against the wind with the opening two points from top-scoring Ring and Seán Cash.

Clongeen hit the front in the 15th minute when Willie McDonald found the net from Kilkenny's pass, and they went further ahead when Jamie O'Grady punched to the open goal two minutes later (2-2 to 0-2).

Eventually the visitors led by seven at the change-around but the second-half was to be an uphill struggle for the leaders. Ballyhogue battered them with wave after wave of attacks yet they were way too profligate, kicking 17 wides in all.

Seventy-one seconds after the re-start Ring converted from the penalty spot, but his side still trailed with twelve minutes to go (2-7 to 1-6).

The centre-forward's second goal, deflecting in off the foot of the unfortunate Eric O'Grady, gave the hosts the jolt of confidence they needed to kick on.

Denis Asple, Johnny O'Sullivan, Ring and John Kehoe all scored to put Ballyhogue in a winning position, but in the end Clongeen grabbed the vital goal to force extra-time and eventually a replay.

Ballyhogue: P.J. Kennedy; Ger Walsh, James Whelan (capt.), Conor Long; Johnny O'Sullivan (0-1), James Parle, Tony Ryan; Daniel Pim, Arthur Dunne (0-1); Norman Carr, Seán Ring (2-6, 1-0 pen., 0-1 free), Seán Cash (0-1); Jim Bob Levingstone, Philip Walsh, Mick Condon (0-1 free). Subs. - Denis Asple (0-1) for G. Walsh (18), Fionn Rochford for P. Walsh (24), Declan Power for Carr (45), John Kehoe (0-1) for Cash (48), Paddy Carr for Power (61), Jack Fortune for O'Sullivan (68), Norman Carr for Condon, inj. (77).

Clongeen: Ricky Rochford; Donal Murphy, Paul Casey, Jamie Keating; Stephen Bennett (0-3, 2 frees), Anton Stafford, Marty Reville; Nicky O'Sullivan, Shane Kilkenny (1-0); Martin Delaney (0-1), Leon Stafford, Peter Anthony Wall; Davy Whelan, Jamie O'Grady (1-2), Willie McDonald (capt., 1-3, 0-1 free). Subs. - Eric O'Grady for Whelan, inj. (7), Donal McDonald for O'Sullivan, inj. (41), Jamesie Rochford for Wall (65), Martin Murphy for L. Stafford (71).

Referee: Noel O'Connor (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read