Thursday 19 September 2019

Deadly Duffry

Sharpshooting forwards in fine form

The Duffry Rovers team before their success in the local derby against Marshalstown-Castledockrell
The Duffry Rovers team before their success in the local derby against Marshalstown-Castledockrell
Cian Leacy of Marshalstown-Castledockrell attempts to halt the progress of Duffry Rovers marksman Aaron Smyth
Darragh O' Gorman powering his way through for Duffry Rovers.

Dean Goodison

Duffry Rovers became the first team to raise at least 20 white flags in one game in this season's New Ross Standard Coiste na nOg Under-14 hurling championship as they saw off Division 5 13-a-side rivals Marshalstown-Castledockrell in Coolree on Thursday.

Duffry Rovers 2-21 M'Town-C'Rell 0-2

The hosts were in scintillating form from the off with 13 of their points coming in the first 25 minutes. Aaron Smyth and Dylan Tyrell in particular were in tip-top shape, scoring 1-14 between them.

It was a tough night for a young Marshalstown-Castledockrell side, but credit must go to all their players for turning out and giving it their all for the full 50 minutes.

Their efforts were particularly notable the longer the game wore on, with the hosts managing just two points in the final 14 minutes.

Indeed, in that strong spell the visitors were extremely unlucky not to add a few more scores themselves.

Simply put, Duffry Rovers refused to give an inch in defence with Jonathan Doyle and Cian Cloake absolutely superb in the full-back line.

A pair of points apiece from Tyrell and Smyth eased the Duffry 0-4 to nil up after the opening quarter.

It was at this point that the home side really found their groove and began hitting the target at regular intervals.

Opportunist attacker Darragh O'Gorman had added his name to the scoreboard when Tyrell picked up possession on the right wing, cut inside and somehow shot, from a tight angle, to the back of the excellent Dean Franklin's net.

The Marshalstown-Castledockrell stopper made several great saves through the course of the game but there was nothing he could do to prevent a string of points - with Tiarnan Fitzhenry the latest to add his name to the scoresheet - that edged the Duffry 1-13 to nil ahead at the change-around.

After Fitzhenry pointed to start the second-half, Marshalstown-Castledockrell finally found the target for the first time when Ryan McLoughlin flighted over a classy free from just outside the '45.

Fionn O Muirí flashed home a cleverly-taken goal six minutes into the second-half and Robbie Tyrell also worked the umpire with a well-taken minor.

There was still time for a second Marshalstown-Castledockrell score, this time from Jack Salt after he was fouled, but there was no stopping Rovers in the end.

Duffry Rovers: Conor Sinnott; Jonathan Doyle, Cian Cloake (capt.); Dean Butler, Marcus McCarthy, Ian Blake; Robbie Tyrell (0-1), Aaron Smyth (0-7, 3 frees); Sam Holmes, Dylan Tyrell (1-7), Tiarnan Fitzhenry (0-3); Fionn O Muirí (1-0), Darragh O'Gorman (0-3). Subs. - Cathal Cloake for Blake (36), Seán Redmond for O'Gorman (39).

Marshalstown-Castledockrell: Dean Franklin (capt.); David Kinsella, Danny Byrne; Shane Roche, David Farrell, Ryan Quigley; Ryan McLoughlin (0-1 free), Cian Leacy; Noah Carney, Jack White, Jack Morris; Tadhg Dunne, Jack Salt (0-1 free). Subs. - Naoise O'Leary for White (12), Fionn O'Leary for McLoughlin (16), R. McLoughlin for Carney (20), Carney for Leacy (35), Peter Leacy for F. O'Leary (38), Cian Leacy for Roche (45), White for Morris (46), also Adam Somers.

Referee: Cathal Ffrench (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy).

Wexford People