Saturday 24 August 2019

Fenlon point precious for Joseph's

Brendan Furlong

A late John Fenlon point secured St. Joseph's a place in the quarter-finals as they edged out already relegation-threatened Davidstown-Courtnacuddy in this Joyces Expert Intermediate 'A' football championship Group A game in Oylegate on Sunday.

St. Joseph's 0-8 Davidstown-C'cuddy 0-7

When the game looked like petering out into a draw, Fenlon seized the chance 30 seconds from the end to point from an acute angle, a result that sent their opponents to a fifth consecutive defeat.

For the Wexford town side it's a place in the quarter-finals although huge improvement is needed if they are to progress further in the championship.

Scoring was at a premium through the opening quarter, at the end of which the sides were level on 0-1 each.

Alan Hickey opened the scoring after two minutes, with Decky Downes pointing the town side level three minutes later.

Supporters had to wait until the 19th minute for the next score, a Kyle Dempsey pointed free, with the sides going on to exchange pointed frees through Stephen Dunbar and Wayne Carty which left the eventual winners leading by 0-3 to 0-2 at the interval.

As the sides continued to lock horns on the resumption, there was little in the way of quality football as both struggled to bring any composure to their game.

Carty with three pointed frees had St. Joseph's leading by 0-6 to 0-2 after 40 minutes, but two Andrew Shore points brought his side back into contention.

With Carty and shore going on to exchange pointed frees, St. Joseph's led by 0-7 to 0-5 with seven minutes remaining when they were reduced to 14 players when Kyle Dempsey was dismissed on a second yellow card offence.

Given their numerical advantage, points from David Dunne and a Greg Jacob '45 had the sides level (0-7 each), but then came Fenlon's late intervention to hand the town side the narrowest of victories.

St. Joseph's: Jamie McMahon; Paddy King, Paddy Harnett, Shane Barnes; Seamus King, John Fenlon (0-1), Eddie Byrne; Wayne Carty (0-5 frees), Kieran Kelly; Kyle Dempsey (0-1 free), Decky Downes (0-1 free), Gary Byrne; Eddie Lawlor, Darren Bergin, John Bergin. Sub. - Paul Underwood for G. Byrne, black card (47).

Davidstown-Courtnacuddy: Seán Howlin; Daniel Delaney, Kevin Keane, David Shore; Dylan Martin, Greg Jacob (0-1 '45), Paul Sheridan; Colin Power, Kieran Walsh; James Doyle, Andrew Shore (0-2), David Dunne (0-1); Eoin Keane, Stephen Dunbar (0-2 frees), Alan Hickey (0-1).

Referee: Henry Sinnott (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Most Read