Tuesday 16 January 2018

Fethard in full control

The two contestants in this Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship Group B game in St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Sunday now find themselves on opposite ends of the table.

Fethard 3-14 St. Patrick's 0-8

While Fethard maintained their good start with a second successive victory, St. Patrick's suffered another defeat and must be concerned by the low combined tally of 0-14 they have mustered over the first two weekends.

The Gorey District side failed dismally to utilise the strong wind in the opening half, falling 1-3 to 0-1 in arrears after seven minutes.

Chris Colfer set up Bryan Power for the goal, and the margin could have been greater as Mark Wallace's penalty was well saved by Stuart Quinn in the ninth minute.

Fethard went on to lead by 2-7 to 0-5 at the break, with Stephen Ryan scoring all five points for the Pat's who ended with 13 wides.

The leaders' second goal came from Joe Sutton in the 24th minute, and their third arrived from Chris Colfer just two minutes into the new half to well and truly settle this contest.

Mark Wallace continued to pick off the points for Fethard, and they also welcomed back Garrett Foley from injury before the finish and he hit the target.

Fethard: Seán Foley; Richard Waters, Kevin Rowe, Daniel Mullan; John Tubritt, Rúairí Tubrid, Martin Power (capt.); Bryan Power (1-0), Mark Wallace (0-8, 5 frees, 1 '65); Joe Sutton (1-1), Graham O'Grady (0-1), Daire Barden; Ciarán Dwyer (0-2), Chris Colfer (1-0), Mikey Dwyer (0-1). Sub. - Garrett Foley (0-1) for M. Dwyer

St. Patrick's: Stuart Quinn; Dillon Kavanagh, Tommy Morris, James Cousins; Peter Roche, John Cousins, Michael Carroll; Michael O'Brien, Hughie Doyle; Tommy Dunne (0-1 free), Stephen Ryan (capt., 0-6, 4 frees), Daryl Murphy; Lorcan Hamilton (0-1), Niall O'Brien, Tomás Morris. Subs. - Stephen Kavanagh for Carroll, Carroll for Hamilton.

Referee: Bob Treacy (Clongeen).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links