Friday 17 November 2017

Fintan's go down

Flynn's goal keeps Horeswood safe

Dean Goodison

Veteran Leigh O'Brien in command of the situation for Horeswood
Veteran Leigh O'Brien in command of the situation for Horeswood

Dale Flynn's 46th-minute goal saved a jittery Horeswood from the drop out of the Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship at the expense of St. Fintan's in Grantstown on Saturday.

Horeswood 3-6 St Fintan's 1-10

The attacking wing-back popped up at just the right time, controlling Leigh O'Brien's ball in with his right foot before poking past Patrick McDonnell with his left to set the New Ross District side on their way to safety.

Flynn's goal was a rare piece of skill in a nervous, error-riddled game - the type of clash that is invariably saved for these occasions.

Horeswood looked like a completely different team to the one that ended Gusserane's campaign.

Gone was their swagger, and the blissful freedom with which they played eleven days earlier. In its place was a plethora of poor decision-making, particularly in the 'scoring zone'.

Not that booming poorly thought-out shots from just inside the '45 was an illness confined to Horeswood. St. Fintan's did more than their fair share of slashing too in a game that saw both sides comfortably entering double figures in wides.

They had five each on the board in the first 15 minutes as St. Fintan's led by 0-2 to 0-1 courtesy of points from Shane Sinnott and Jason Pettit.

Horeswood did have a chance to goal in those early exchanges but Patrick McDonnell saved well from David Shannon.

The Ballymore boys hit the net first when another flailing effort, this one from Conor Sinnott, fell short which allowed Pettit to react quickest and drill soccer-style past Conor Swaine in the Horerswood goal.

From 1-3 to 0-1 behind, things quickly changed in Horeswood's favour. Jim Wall notched his third goal in two games after good work by Flynn and Leigh O'Brien, and then Shannon fisted to the net to send his side 2-3 to 1-3 ahead.

It was level at half-time following points from Donal Shanley (two) and Pettit (2-3 to 1-6), but Horeswood notched the first two points of the second-half through Wall and Declan Murphy.

Kevin Day narrowed the gap to one shortly before Flynn fired home the all-important goal and, while Shanley picked off points in the final quarter, a third Declan Murphy effort late on was enough to relegate St. Fintan's after two seasons at Senior.

Horeswood: Conor Swaine; Seán Stafford, Shane O'Hanlon, Gavin Murphy; Cian Gleeson, Barry Hearn, Dale Flynn (1-0); Darren Shannon, Michael O'Hanlon; Eddie Shiely, Leigh O'Brien, Declan Murphy (0-3); Liam Shiely, Jim Wall (1-1), David Shannon (1-2, 0-1 free). Subs. - David Larkin for Darren Shannon, inj. (15), Eric Banville for L. Shiely (36).

St. Fintan's: Patrick McDonnell; Adrian Murphy, Jim Rossiter, Jimmy Staples; Pádhraic Rossiter, Frank Staples, Brendan Hughes; Paddy Keane, Pádraig Doyle; Kevin Day (0-1), Donal Shanley (0-6, 4 frees), Robert Coakley; Jason Pettit (1-2), Conor Sinnott, Shane Sinnott (0-1 free). Subs. - Peter Goldsmith for Rossiter (40), John William Rowe for Pettit (59), Ian Redmond for Coakley (60 + 1).

Referee: John Carton (Monageer-Boolavogue).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links