Thursday 22 August 2019

Five from five for Kilanerin

Rosslare through despite loss

Mark Boland takes aim for Kilanerin despite the close attention of Rosslare's Shay Boggan
Mark Boland takes aim for Kilanerin despite the close attention of Rosslare's Shay Boggan
Matty Forde keeps a close eye on the ball as it moves towards county Junior colleague, Lee Devereux

Dean Goodison

Following a nervy 15-minute wait after full-time, St. Mary's (Rosslare) advanced to the last eight of the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship despite Group B defeat to Kilanerin in Farmleigh on Sunday.

Kilanerin 1-14 St. Mary's (R'lare) 0-11

The Wexford District side were on course to avoid the anxiety after the final whistle as they scorched into a 0-9 to 0-4 interval lead, but they only managed two points from Barry Quirke and Tiarnan Rossiter thereafter to fall to a six-point defeat.

Kilanerin came into the game with top spot in the table secured and with only preparation for a quarter-final clash on their mind. They collectively looked elsewhere as Rosslare surged at them in waves in the opening period to put distance between the sides.

The victors actually picked up the first two points through Dean O'Toole and Peter Hughes but St. Mary's hit back with the next four from David Murphy, Lee Devereux and Rossiter (two) to lead by 0-4 to 0-2 after eleven minutes.

Matty Forde pulled back a point from a free but with Naomhan Rossiter driving his side forward from centre-back, Rosslare hit the next five points in a row and eventually went in at the interval leading by five.

After a dressing down at the half-time it was a different Kilanerin side which appeared after the resumption.

They were within two after points from Forde, Richard Hughes and Peter Hughes when Brian Hughes ghosted in from Forde's feed to find the Rosslare rigging.

There only ever looked like one winner from that point on as the Gorey District side outscored their opponents by 0-7 to 0-2 in the final quarter as they took a deserved victory and left Rosslare sweating on the Kilmore result.

In the quarter-finals Kilanerin will face Taghmon-Camross for a place in the last four, while St. Mary's will find out their fate tonight (Tuesday) when Glynn-Barntown and HWH-Bunclody meet in St. Patrick's Park to decide top spot in Group A.

Kilanerin: Tom Hughes; Brian Hughes (1-0), Richard Hughes (0-1), Edward Hughes; Aidan Jones, Colm Kavanagh, Gavin O'Toole; Niall Hughes, Mark Gethings (0-1); Conor Byrne, Matty Forde (capt., 0-7, 4 frees, 1 '45), Mark Boland; Bobby Hughes, Dean O'Toole (0-2), Peter Hughes (0-3). Subs. - Conor Devitt for Byrne (44), Denis Jones for Boland (44), Jim Hughes for N. Hughes (52), Lorcan Clare for R. Hughes, inj. (55), Stephen Hughes for A. Jones (60).

St. Mary's: Stephen Cogley; Gearóid Byrne, Conor Murphy, Eamonn Power; Larry Morrissey, Naomhan Rossiter, Emmet Byrne; David Murphy (capt., 0-2), Shay Boggan; Tiarnan Rossiter (0-5, 3 frees), Andrew Murphy, Shane Sinnott; Paul Kinsella (0-1), Lee Devereux (0-2), Barry Quirke (0-1). Subs. - Dara Coffey for Kinsella (31), Ultan Quirke for A. Murphy (47).

Referee: Anthony Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read