Thursday 21 November 2019

Flynn injury blow

Gusserane 2-16 St. James’ 0-7

Graeme Cullen of Gusserane receives the Tommy Murphy Cup from Denis Nolan, New Ross District Chairman
Graeme Cullen of Gusserane receives the Tommy Murphy Cup from Denis Nolan, New Ross District Chairman
The Gusserane team before retaining the Tommy Murphy Cup title in Cushinstown on Saturday
The St. James' squad prior to Saturday's defeat

What appears to be a very serious knee injury to Wexford stalwart, Adrian Fynn, took the gloss off a very comfortable victory for Gusserane over their neighbours, St. James', in the Tommy Murphy Cup final in Cushinstown on Saturday.

'Panther', as he is best known as, landed awkwardly midway through the second-half after making a spectacular catch from a kick-out. Fingers are crossed down Ballycullane way in the hope that the injury is not as serious as it appeared.

At this stage of the game Gusserane were ahead by 1-11 to 0-4 and never looked in any danger. They had opened the game in scintillating style, with the young trio of Sam Wall, Mark Rossiter and Seán Ryan notching 1-6 in the opening quarter, while a Kevin O'Grady free was the only score registered by St. James'. It was Ryan who rattled the net after some slick passing by his Gusserane team-mates.

St. James' were unlucky twice in the space of a minute when Tommy Walsh first hit the butt of the post with a shot, and then the same player forced Micheál Ryan into a wonderful save.

Gusserane on the other hand finished the half with points from temporary substitute James Redmond, Seán Ryan and Paul Wall.

Kevin O'Grady put over another free while Tommy Walsh and Emmet Dunning also added minors to leave the half-time score reading 1-9 to 0-4.

The second-half didn't prove any more fruitful for St. James'. Seán Ryan opened Gusserane's account and Jack Burford scored a long-distance free before Flynn suffered his misfortune. The game was stopped for some time while he received medical attention and was stretchered from the field.

A Tom Foran point got Gusserane back on track when play resumed before Brian Molloy added one for the Jimmies.

A superbly-taken Sam Wall goal and another Foran point were added to by three more Burford frees before Kevin O'Grady registered a couple of late points which only proved to be consolation scores.

District Chairman, Denis Nolan, wished both teams every success in their upcoming championship games and extended best wishes to Adrian Flynn before presenting the impressive Tommy Murphy Cup to Graeme Cullen for the second year running.

Gusserane: Micheál Ryan; Jack O'Connor, Mark O'Neill, Gavin Sheehan; Jack Burford (0-4 frees), Adrian Flynn, Adrian Redmond; Cillian Kehoe, John Roche; Mark Rossiter (0-2), Shane Cullen, Seán Ryan (1-2); Tom Foran (0-2), Paul Wall (0-1), Sam Wall (1-4). Sub. - James Redmond (0-1) for Flynn, inj.

St. James': Noel Holohan; Brian Kennedy, Jason Barron, Greg Doyle; Paul Barron, Robbie Barron, David Doyle; Brendan Doyle, Darragh Lyons; Liam Murphy, Kevin O'Grady (0-4, 2 frees), Brian Molloy (0-1); Donal Barron, Emmet Dunning (0-1), Tommy Walsh (0-1). Subs. - Michael O'Grady for Dunning, Conor Dalton for B. Doyle.

Referee: Anthony Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read