Monday 19 August 2019

Flynn's major the difference

Gussrane pip Kilanerin

Dean Goodison

For the second time in twelve days, hosts Gusserane edged past Kilanerin but this time it ensured them of a place in the All-County Football League Division 1 final opposite Castletown.

Gusserane 3-7 Kilanerin 2-9

Tuesday's semi-final was a tight game throughout with Gusserane just shading it thanks, in no small part, to a vital second-half goal scored by county stalwart Adrian Flynn.

There was very little to choose between the sides at any point in proceedings.

Kilanerin would, no doubt, have gone home disappointed with the result but safe in the knowledge that they are right up there competing with the form teams after a disappointing 2014.

Gusserane will take confidence into the title decider against Castletown, having been put under pressure in the last quarter only to come out with the narrowest of victories.

Kilanerin made hay in the first-half with Conor Devitt using the space he was afforded between midfield and the hosts' '45 to set up scoring chance after chance for the Gorey District side.

Invariably Matty Forde was involved in most of those scores too, including in the opening minute when he collected from Mark Boland and fed across goal for his nephew, Dean O'Toole, to punch to the empty net.

Gusserane responded immediately with the two Adrians, Flynn and Redmond, involved in the build-up to Ken Cahill's goal.

A brace from Forde were cancelled out by Shane Cullen and Páraic Conway points to leave the score at 1-2 each as the first quarter drew to a close.

Moments after Cullen converted a dead ball, he slipped Seán Ryan in for his side's second goal, but Kilanerin hit back through a Forde punched major and the visitors eventually went in at the interval a point ahead (2-5 to 2-4).

Cullen and Forde exchanged frees early in the second-half.

Yet, Gusserane were level again when Cahill pointed and flashed ahead when Flynn pounced after Tom Hughes couldn't hold Cullen's long ball to put the New Ross District side 3-6 to 2-6 in front.

Despite Gavin O'Toole's point, the home side still led by three with eight minutes to go after Cullen registered again.

Kilanerin narrowed the gap through two Forde frees but couldn't even manage a shot at an equalising point as Gusserane held on to possession and to victory.

Gusserane: David Kehoe; James Redmond, Cathal Somers, Shane Doyle; Robert Browne, Paul Wall, Adrian Redmond; Philip Wallace, Darragh Doyle; Adrian Flynn (1-0), Ken Cahill (capt., 1-1), Páraic Conway (0-1); Jamie Cooney, Shane Cullen (0-4 frees), Seán Ryan (1-1). Subs. - Matty Flynn for Wallace (41), Jack O'Connor for J. Redmond (48), Seán O'Connor for Cooney (49), Seán Kinsella for Browne, black card (53), Liam Dillon for D. Doyle (57).

Kilanerin: Tom Hughes; Edward Hughes, Richard Hughes, Brian Hughes; Gavin O'Toole (0-1), Colm Kavanagh, Aidan Jones; Mark Gethings, Jim Hughes; Mark Boland, Conor Devitt, Conor Byrne; Dean O'Toole (1-1), Bobby Hughes, Matty Forde (capt., 1-7, 0-5 frees). Subs. - Stephen Hughes for J. Hughes (15), Peter Hughes for B. Hughes (37), Denis Jones for Byrne (44), Lorcan Clare for P. Hughes, black card (59).

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read