Tuesday 20 August 2019

GAA Club Notes

Pettitts senior hurling championship group B, Oulart The Ballagh v Buffers Alley played in, Bellefield.
Pettitts senior hurling championship group B, Oulart The Ballagh v Buffers Alley played in, Bellefield.


Hard luck to the Minors who fulfilled their part of the bargin by beating St. Anne's on a 2-13 to 3-9 scoreline after a great comeback from being nine points down in an exciting game in Páirc Charman on Tuesday. Unfortunately, other results didn't go their way so they have departed from the championship.

Team: Paul Bailie; Conor Hillis, Cormac Jones, Rian Carty; Shane Hall (0-1), Emmet Sinnott, Fiach O Crúalaíoch (0-1); David Dempsey, Conor Halligan; Darragh Goodison, Cathal Kirwan, Eoin Goodison (0-1); Danny Walsh (0-2), Shane McGrath (2-4, 1-0 pen., 0-3 frees), Ciarán Kirwan (0-4). Sub. - Andrew Harrington for Hillis.

There was disappointment too for the Juveniles in Taghmon on Monday when a physically-stronger St. Martin's side overcame them by 2-7 to 0-5 in the Premier championship semi-final. It was 2-4 to 0-2 at half-time and, although the sides shared the six points scored after the break, in truth we never looked like bridging the gap and only managed one point from play.

Perhaps it might have been different if luck was on our side early in the second-half when a couple of efforts struck the woodwork. Well done to the players on a gallant effort against strong opponents.

Well done also to the Under-11 and Under-12 boys' squad who both advanced to semi-finals with wins over Starlights on Wednesday.

Well done to the Under-14 boys who took part in the town league on Saturday, and to the Under-8s who played Shelmaliers in Hollymount. Hard luck to the Under-12 girls who lost to Volunteers on Tuesday and now have the shield to look forward to.

Best wishes to the Juniors who will limber up for their quarter-final in their last group game at home to Duffry Rovers on Friday at 7 p.m. There is nothing at stake for the Seniors when they take on St. Anne's in Bellefield on Tuesday at 8.30 p.m. to conclude their season.

Good luck also to the Under-14 boys who will play Gusserane in the Co. semi-final in Taghmon on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Congratulations to Dean Walsh on his European bronze medal and to his uncle, Billy, on masterminding another successful championship which also featured golds for Joe Ward and Michael Conlan. Well done to all members who received their Leaving Certificate results on Wednesday.

A reminder that our annual golf classic is taking place in Wexford Golf Club this Saturday, August 22. To book a tee-time, ring the club directly on 05391-42238. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a great course at a very reasonable price (€15 for non-members).

And on Sunday, August 23, all roads lead to Páirc Charman for the annual fun day from 2 to 5.30 p.m. All of the usual attractions will be there, with something for everyone in the family to enjoy.

The club extends sympathy to the Slaven family on the death of Ann's father, Jimmy O'Leary, and to the Barnes family on the death of Mena. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha.


There was no winner of the lotto jackpot of €5,300. Numbers drawn were 3, 4, 12, 19 and bonus 39. Match three winners were Helen Power, Pierce and Brendan Cuddihy.

Intermediate football: Bannow-Ballymitty 2-11, St. Mary's 0-9 (Tiarnan Rossiter 0-6, Lee Devereux, Paul Kinsella and David Murphy 0-1 each).

The revival of the infamous Griffin's hurling league was welcomed back to St. Mary's with a bang on Sunday week at 10 a.m. in Tagoat. The first morning was a great success with four teams taking to the field, namely Cork, Clare, Waterford and Kilkenny, and both games were exciting encounters.

The teams are a mix of Under-13, Under-12, Under-11 and Under-10 boys, and competition was keen. The final results were: Cork 11-2, Clare 7-7, and Waterford 5-5, Kilkenny 4-8. Under-12 football quarter-final: Cloughbawn 3-8, St. Mary's 3-6.

EEW Junior hurling championship: Ferns St. Aidan's 2-14, St. Mary's 1-16 (Lee Devereux 1-9, David Murphy 0-4, Paul Kinsella 0-2, Barry Quirke 0-1).

Fixtures: August 23, Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship Group B round five, St. Mary's v. Kilanerin in Farmleigh at 5 p.m.

We wish Robert Butler a speedy recovery after he suffered a broken finger in the Ferns game on Wednesday evening.

The Irish Blood Transfusion Services are back in our complex in Tagoat on Thursday, August 20, and will host its fourth clinic to date. Please come out and donate a unit of blood, as it just might save a life! The Clinic is open 5 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. See you there!


Our Seniors went down to a very disappointing defeat in their championship fixture against county champions the Shelmaliers on Friday in Wexford Park on a scoreline of 1-17 to 0-9.

Despite starting with the aid of the breeze, we were four points down after five minutes. Halfway through the first-half, we trailed by 1-7 to 0-3 when Richie Kehoe received a straight red card.

At half-time we trailed by 1-8 to 0-6. Things didn't improve to any great extent in the second-half and we were eventually beaten by eleven points. Our scorers were John Bridges and Jim Berry 0-3 each, Rhys Clarke, Alan Lynch and Lee Chin 0-1 each.

It was an extremely disappointing result and we need to put things right very quickly in our remaining game against the Shamrocks in two weeks' time to ensure qualification for the county quarter-final.

Our Junior team salvaged some pride for the weekend when we defeated the same opposition in the chamoionship on Saturday in Wexford Park. Despite playing against the breeze in the first-half, we led by 1-6 to 0-6 at the break due to a top-class defensive performance, with our goal coming from Brian Denton.

A second goal from Brian early in the second-half put us in a very strong position and we eventually won by 2-12 to 0-13. Our scores came from Brian Denton 2-1, Shane Wilde 0-4, Wayne Mallon 0-3, Daniel Lynch 0-2, Paul Gannon and Ciarán Kirwan 0-1 each.

This victory gives us four wins from our four games to date and we have one remaining group game versus Taghmon-Camross, which should take place in two weeks.

Our Junior 'B' team play their final group championship fixture tonight (Tuesday) when they travel to Ballymurn to take on Crossabeg-Ballymurn in the Wexford District championship with a 7.15 p.m. throw-in. We have to win this game to maintain an interest in the championship.

In the meantime, training for all our adult teams continues every Monday and Wednesday in Páirc Carman at 7 p.m.

Our eighth annual Pikeman Challenge concluded last weekend when our intrepid walkers put in successive walks over The Three Rock Trail on Thursday, the Blackstairs Way on Saturday, and a walk to The Raven Point on Sunday.

All walks were very well supported and the club would like to thank all those who took part in the various walks to raise funds for the club. The weekend concluded with a celebration barbeque in Wexford Harbour Boat Club on Sunday.

The walkers are already looking forward to next year's renewal! Many thanks also to Mick Kielthy and the Wexford Hillwalkers Club who supported the walk and to all those who helped feed the walkers on the walks themselves and at the barbeque on Sunday.

Our Juveniles had an excellent win over a talented Blackwater team in the quarter-final of the Premier championship in Monday on a scoreline of 3-12 to 0-10. It was an extremely competitive game with the difference being our lads' ability to take the goal chances that came their way.

Our goalscorers were Conal Clancy, James Henebery and Conal Crowley. We now play Naomh Eanna in the Premier semi-final on Monday, August 24, in St. Patrick's Park at 7 p.m.

Our Under-14s went down narrowly to Naomh Eanna on Thursday but had already qualified for the Premier semi-final against St. Martin's.

Friday, August 21: Under-12 Premier championship v. Glynn-Barntown in Killurin.

Our camogie team had an excellent win away to Kilmore in the Junior 'C' championship last weekend and have earned themselves a play-off against the same opposition which was to take place on Monday night. Fair play to the girls for keeping their season alive and they have worked hard to get this victory.

For all updated news, under-age games, fixtures, results, lotto, photos etc. with the club, check out our website at, or follow us on Twitter (@faytheharriers) or on our Facebook account for regular updates of club activity.


Our Senior hurlers lost their one hundred per cent record in disappointing fashion at the hands of Glynn-Barntown on Friday on a scoreline of 0-17 to 0-14. The Senior footballers will complete their group games on Tuesday, August 25, in Bellefield when they take on Castletown.

The best of luck to our lads and all their team-mates in the All-Ireland Under-21 semi-final on Saturday.

The Junior 'A' hurlers enjoyed a comprehensive win over Wygram Gaels which means that they have topped their group and are through to the quarter-finals. The Junior 'B' hurlers will play a District semi-final on the last weekend in August and the Junior 'B' footballers will play their District semi-final on Friday, August 21, at 6.45 p.m. in Tagoat versus Crossabeg-Ballymurn.

Meanwhile, our Under-16 camogie team travelled to Waterford via ferry on Friday to play Gailtir in a practice match which they won by 3-13 to 1-3. Chips on the way home in Wellingtonbridge topped off a lovely evening.

The Under-12 camogie team travelled to Kilkenny on Saturday and played what turned out to be a competitive fixture against local team O'Loughlin Gaels. The girls turned in a fine second-half performance and recorded a well-deserved victory.

The Under-8 boys completed their football matches on Saturday against Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's. Many of the boys attended the Cúl Camps earlier in the week and their recently-learnt skills were evident on the field of play. Two hurling fixtures remain for the boys in the coming weeks against Our Lady's island and St. Mary's.

In ladies' football, the Under-10s played Kilmore on Thursday and in a close game again the girls showed how their skills are improving. They play St. Fintan's on Thursday at 6.30 p.m.

The Under-12s were back in action against St. Anne's after a long break and had a good win. They will play Kilmore in their last group game on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Piercestown.

The adults, meanwhile, are now on the countdown for the county semi-final in which they will face Clonard again. This game will be played in Clonard's pitch at 7.15 p.m. on Monday, August 24.


Our Under-18 camogie team played their final group game on Tuesday versus Moyeady Bridge and the girls eased to victory on a scoreline of 4-10 to 0-7 to secure their place in a semi-final.

On Sunday our Under-8, -10, -12 and -14 camogie teams enjoyed slots in the Leinster Roadshow where they put their skills on display for the spectators.

It was another fine display from our Under-10 hurlers in Oylegate on Monday - with three games last week the boys were in sharp form! Mark was composed in goal while Jack, Cian and Shane were stoic in defence.

There was plenty of hard work from midfielders Patrick, Jack and Mark and the forwards, Evan, Liam, Paul and Josh, combined well for scores.

On Friday both the Under-9s and Under-10s travelled to Rathgarogue-Cushinstown and won both of their football games there with flashes of brilliance and determination.

Well done to our Under-16 hurlers who advanced to a Premier Co. final on Monday at the expense of Oylegate-Glenbrien. The boys went into the interval three points down but upped it a gear in the second-half, with substitute Wayne Connolly scoring a fine goal to level.

Glynn-Barntown pressed on with vital scores from Jack Brazzill and Dylan Lyne to finish the game with a seven-point lead thanks to a composed performance from Jamie O'Shea in goal and committed defending from Matthew Banville and the backs around him. The same boys changed code on Monday of this week to tackle St. Mogue's in the Co. football quarter-final.

Our Minor footballers will face St. Martin's in a county semi-final after losing narrowly to Abban O'Rahilly's in the final group game last week. Despite a terrific performance, coming back twice from a seven-point deficit, we were beaten by a point.

Our Senior hurlers hit form on Friday to topple a previously unbeaten St. Martin's team and secure a championship quarter-final place. A three-point victory was well deserved after a close-fought battle with our neighbours.

A very solid defensive performance laid the foundation while the fielding by both Craig and Michael Doyle was exceptional. In the end two critical points by Fionn Cooney on his debut together with a sweetly-struck 90-yard free by goalkeeper Mark Fanning saw us home.

While the Under-10 and Juvenile hurlers were busy in Oylegate on Monday, the Under-12 ladies' football team kept the home fires burning in Killurin with a vital win over Clonard which sees them through to a Co. semi-final.

Our Under-10 ladies' Blue football team were also in action versus St. Anne's on Thursday in Killurin and some great skills were on display, with St. Anne's shading it in the end.

Glynn-Barntown ladies' football club held a fun day on Sunday in the club pitch and the day was enjoyed by young and old, with the Leinster Roadshow, Europe's largest inflatable pitch, being the biggest hit. Thanks to all who helped put the day together and to all of those who supported this fundraiser.

The club would like to congratulate all of the young ladies and men who received their Leaving Certificate results last Wednesday and to wish them every success in their chosen paths.


The Senior hurlers were crowned Division 1 league hurling champions for 2015 when they defeated Faythe Harriers by 1-17 to 0-9 in Wexford Park on Friday. This match was also the championship match between the sides so it was double celebrations at the end as captain Joe Kelly collected the league cup and two valuable points in the championship qualification.

Joe Kelly led by example, contributing twelve points to his team's final total. However, there were many other fine performances from all the Shelmalier players.

The Shelmaliers were quickly off the mark and had four unanswered points from Joe Kelly before the Harriers got their first score in the tenth minute. The Shelmaliers stretched their lead when Páraic O'Leary finished the ball to the Harriers net after great inter-play from the black and amber side.

Leading by 1-8 to 0-6 at half-time, the Shelmaliers continued their domination in the second-half to run out winners by 1-17 to 0-9, with Joe Kelly, Brian Doyle, Páraic O'Leary, Benny Barron and Ciarán O Shaughnessy on the scoreboard.

The second meeting between the Shelmaliers and Faythe Harriers was also played in Wexford Park on Saturday when the sides met in the Junior hurling championship match which the Wexford town side won on a final score line of 2-12 to 0-13.

The Shelmalier side got off to a great start with Johnny Campbell and Conor Byrne (four) pointing to give their side a three-point advantage by the tenth minute. The Harries regained the lead with a goal in the 15th minute and they went on to lead by 1-6 to 0-6 at half-time.

A second goal followed on the resumption, with the Shelmaliers replying with four further points from free-taker Conor Byrne to leave two goals (2-9 to 0-9) in it after the third quarter.

Conor Byrne and Michael Feeney completed the Shelmalier scoring in the second-half to leave a final score of Faythe Harriers 2-12, Shelmaliers 0-13.

All Shelmaliers supporters are asked to travel to Tagoat on Friday, August 21, where the Junior 'B' footballers take on Kilmore in the District semi-final, with the game starting at 6.45 p.m. This team has made great strides this year and we wish manager Butch Barlow and his team the best of luck in the semi-final.


There is an Under-10 hurling match against Gorey in Ballyroebuck on Tuesday, August 18, at 6.30 p.m., and a hurling game on Friday, August 21, against St. Pat's in Ballyroebuck at 7 p.m.

The Under-12 footballers had a good performance in their win over Duffry Rovers last week. There is an Under-12 hurling match against Rathnure on Tuesday, August 18, in Rathnure.

Congratulations to everyone who recently received their Leaving Cert. results.


Our two hurling teams had great wins over the weekend. The Junior 'B' team beat Clongeen by 1-14 to 0-8 to qualify for the District semi-final and the Junior team had a 3-25 to 0-7 win over Gorey.

The last game in the Intermediate football against Ballyhogue, where a win would put us through to the quarter-final, is in Killurin on Sunday, August 23, at 6.30 p.m.

There was no winner of the lotto jackpot last week, with nine match threes: Willie Culliton, Sheastown; Liam Dempsey, c/o Noel Bennett; Maureen Furlong, Yoletown; Marie Carty, Ballinknock; Liam Hore, Ferrycarrig; Paddy Hannon, Littlegraigue; Maher girls, Caroreigh; Breda Breen, Castlehayestown; Stephen Creane, c/o Rochford's.

Next week's jackpot will be €8,300 and the draw will be in Grantstown on Tuesday night.


The club expresses its deepest sympathies to Seán O'Brien and his family on the recent passing of his brother, David.

The Conor McDonald Boot Camp will take place in Gorey from August 18 to 21. With trainers from the top-drawer, this is a great opportunity for eight- to 14-year-olds to make the most of their time off as their summer holidays draw to a close. For more information, please consult

Well done to the Intermediate hurlers who pulled off a tremendous championship victory at the expense of HWH-Bunclody. After a swashbuckling second-half, Pádraig Doyle landed a last-gasp score to secure qualification to the quarter-finals. They now meet Craanford in the final round.

Team: Barry Kinsella; Pedro Travers, Brendan Travers (capt.), Tom Stafford; Seán Doyle, Eoin Conroy (0-1), Lee Kinsella; Conor Hughes (0-2), John O'Brien; Gearóid Cullen (0-1), Pádraig Doyle (0-5, 3 frees), William Cullen; David O'Brien (0-2), Conor McDonald (1-3, 0-1 free), Dara McDonald. Sub. - Aodhán Doyle (0-1) for W. Cullen.

The Intermediate 'A' footballers resume championship action on Friday as they bid to atone for their league final loss to Kilrush. Throw-in in Monamolin is at 7 p.m.

Well done to the Under-16 hurlers who progressed to the semi-finals after beating Rapparees last week. The Under-14 hurlers also earned a place in the semis after they beat Faythe Harriers by three points in their quarter-final on Thursday.

Hard luck to the ladies' footballers who bowed out of the championship with a semi-final loss to the Shelmaliers.

The Under-12 hurlers travel to St. Martin's tonight (Tuesday) for championship games. Throw-in is at 7.30 p.m.

Commiserations also to the Under-12 camogie team which lost last week to Oylegate-Glenbrien. The Junior hurlers also suffered a defeat to Taghmon-Camross on Sunday.

To add a note to the club notes, please phone 087-9770497.

Wexford People

Most Read