Monday 19 August 2019

Glynn-Barntown in devastating form

Group team well beaten by victors

Cormac Rowe of Glynn-Barntown gets his kick away despite the blocking attempt from Gavin Sheehan of Mogue O'Rahilly's.
Cormac Rowe of Glynn-Barntown gets his kick away despite the blocking attempt from Gavin Sheehan of Mogue O'Rahilly's.
Glynn Barntown's Dylan Lyne tries to find a way past Brian Dillon
Sam Wall of Mogue O'Rahilly's tries to get away from Glynn-Barntown's Matthew Banville.

Dean Goodison

Glynn-Barntown sauntered into the Gorey Guardian Coiste na nOg Juvenile football Premier championship final with a flair-filled victory over Mogue O'Rahilly's in Taghmon on Monday.

Glynn-Barntown 5-16 Mogue O'Rahillys 2-7

The Killurin side recorded a lop-sided success when the sides met in the group stages, and this showing was almost equally as impressive as their sextet of attackers weaved and jinked around for some superb scores.

It was a tough assignment for the Fethard/Gusserane combo who also lost heavily to group winners St. Martin's but were pulled out of the hat first in the draw to decide the final two play-off places. They boast several talented players but simply came up against a side full of confidence.

Darragh Nolan went close for the victors early on before each side opened their accounts through Dylan Lyne and the excellent Sam Wall respectively. Gusserane clubman Wall added two frees later in the half but Glynn-Barntown were racking up points around those scores.

Jack Brazzill got five points in the half - his unorthodox free-taking style was a real treat to watch - while points were also registered by Michael Carroll and Lyne.

The net bulged for the first time in the last minute of the half when Nolan and Liam Berry combined to release Aaron Breen to make the score 1-8 to 0-3 at the interval.

Berry would turn out to be the star performer of the second-half for his side. He scored two goals, both in the first nine minutes after half-time, and was denied on several other occasions by the excellent Colm Walshe.

A looping shot from Ciarán Marlowe made it 4-10 to 0-5 in the 42nd minute, but Mogue O'Rahilly's pulled a goal back when Wall smacked a shot in off the underside of the crossbar moments later. Glynn-Barntown kept peppering the goal with shots and grabbed their fifth when Lyne found the rigging after a lung-bursting run.

Wall notched his second major in the final minute of normal time but it wasn't enough to deny Glynn-Barntown who go into the final where they will face old foes St. Martin's for the title.

Glynn-Barntown: Adam Murphy; Barry Ryan, Shane Doyle, Michael Curran; Matthew Banville (capt.), David Roche, Conor Clarke; Cormac Rowe, Ger Dempsey; Dylan Lyne (1-2), Aaron Breen (1-1), Liam Berry (2-3); Jack Brazzill (0-9, 5 frees), Michael Carroll (0-1), Darragh Nolan. Subs. - Ciarán Marlowe (1-0) for Carroll (38), Cormac Cooney for Dempsey (39), Garbhan McCormack for Breen (45), Dylan Kehoe for Curran (48), Jack Doyle for Nolan (51), Jamie O'Shea for Clarke (51), also Luke Moloney, Adam Wogan, Daniel Murphy, Luke Codd, Shane Doyle, Michael Kearney, Jack Hayden, Luke McGuire, Philip Cowman, Conor Murphy, Jack Carley, Ryan Long.

Mogue O'Rahilly's: Colm Walshe; Jimmy Sutton (0-1), Donal Kinsella, Pádraig Pilkington; Brian Dillon, Tommy Ryan, Kevin O'Donohoe; Gavin Sheehan (capt., 0-1), Aaron Murphy; Adam Ross, Sam Wall (2-5, 0-2 frees, 0-1 '45), Adam Waters; Jack Pierce (0-1), Eoin Ryan, Oisín Foran. Subs . - Eoin Stafford for Foran (45), Stephen Whelan for Pierce (48), Eoin Pilkington for P. Pilkington (48), Zac Lavery for Ross (51).

Referee: John Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read