Saturday 21 September 2019

Glynn-Barntown pile the pressure on Shelmaliers

Glen Malone (Shelmaliers) is tackled by John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown)
Glen Malone (Shelmaliers) is tackled by John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown)
Gary Moore (Glynn-Barntown) gets his pass away as Simon Donohoe and Ciarán Walsh look on

Brendan Furlong

Michael Doyle's outfield dominance helped Glynn-Barntown to a fully-deserved six-point victory over a disappointing Shelmaliers outfit in this Pettitt's Senior hurling championship Group A game at Innovate Wexford Park on Saturday.

Glynn-Barntown 0-18 Shelmaliers 1-9

While Glynn-Barntown continued their impressive form with the two points propelling them into contention for a quarter-final spot, this was in stark contrast to the Shelmaliers. The champions of two years back were slumping to their third successive defeat, leaving them with a real battle to preserve their Senior status.

Michael Doyle led his side by example. Dominant in the air, he showed a colossal workrate throughout the 60 minutes, winning the hard ball around midfield.

As a result his side enjoyed a superiority in this sector that eventually propelled them to a hugely-important two points.

Doyle's outfield control, coupled with the dominant Michael O'Regan at centre-back, contributed to what was a very impressive display from the eventual winners.

Shelmaliers, except for a brief first-half spell, struggled to leave any real imprint on the game. While the defence battled, refusing to concede a goal, the same could not be said of the attack, which looked bereft of ideas and interest.

They were unable to cut any real ice among the opposing defence, even leaving to the withdrawal of once-prolific goalscorer Joe Kelly ten minutes from the end, which just about sums up the attacking woes facing the Shels.

Glynn-Barntown were moving well from the start, shooting three points inside the opening four minutes through Craig Doyle, Rowan White and Daire Barron, before a Joe Kelly fifth-minute pointed free opened his side's account.

After Michael Doyle had lofted over a huge point from midfield, the one moment of inspiration for the Shels came, but it was their only bright spark of the entire game.

Having broken up an attack, the Shels moved the ball quickly through midfield to centre-forward Stephen Banville who cut through the middle before unleashing a superb shot from 25 metres into the top right-hand corner of Mark Fanning's net, bringing the sides level (0-4 to 1-1) after nine minutes.

But with Brendan Doyle, Gary Moore and John Leacy all on target, the eventual winners went in leading by 0-9 to 1-4 at the interval, with Eoin Doyle and Joe Kelly points keeping the Shels in contention.

A Gary Moore point, followed by a great Rowan White run that produced a free which John Leacy pointed, extended their side's lead, and they were still ahead by 0-14 to 1-6 at the end of the third quarter as the Shels struggle for scores continued.

Entering the closing five minutes Glynn-Barntown had cruised into a 0-17 to 1-8 lead and, now playing with growing confidence, they comfortably saw off the feeble Shels challenge.

Glynn-Barntown: Mark Fanning; Davy Clarke, Pádraig Donnelly, Barry Doyle; Craig Doyle (0-2), Michael O'Regan, Alan Cowman; Michael Doyle (0-3), Brendan Doyle (0-2); Rowan White (0-1), John Leacy (0-5, 4 frees), Daire Barron (0-1); Matthew Joyce (0-1), Gary Moore (0-3), J.J. Doyle. Subs. - Kevin Crean for J.J. Doyle, Pádraic Weafer for Joyce, Fionn Cooney for White.

Shelmaliers: Brian Murphy; Andre O'Brien, Aidan Murphy, Ciarán Walsh; Conor Walsh, Simon Donohoe (0-1), James Gordon; Glen Malone, Eoin Doyle (0-1); Ciarán O'Shaughnessy, Stephen Banville (1-0), Arnie Murphy; Joe Kelly (0-4, 3 frees), Brian Doyle, Conor Hearne (0-1 free). Subs. - Benny Barron (0-1) for B. Doyle, Liam Rockett (0-1) for Malone, Tommy Barron for Kelly.

Referee: James Owens (Askamore).

Wexford People

Most Read