Friday 23 August 2019

Glynn-Barntown reach knockouts

Depleted Castletown bow out

Colm Lambert

Glynn-Barntown secured fourth spot in the Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior football championship Group B, and a consequent place in the quarter-finals, with this win over Castletown at Farmleigh on Friday.

Glynn-Barntown 3-10 Castletown 2-6

The biggest struggle for both sides was to put together starting teams. Glynn-Barntown were affected by the presence of several players at a wedding, while Castletown had to rely on 52-year-old selector Paddy Stamp to make up the numbers.

A further sign of how they were struggling with players came when midfielder Jesse Foley had to retire injured on 45 minutes. With no substitutes togged out, the call instead went to former player Colin Sunderland, who happened to be at the match as one of a small crowd of about a dozen spectators.

He was already wearing shorts anyway, he threw on a jersey in place of his tee-shirt, and lined out for the last quarter in his runners. He threw himself about a bit, but it wasn't the Friday evening outing the one-time Wexford footballer was expecting!

Overall, it was a game Glynn-Barntown never looked like losing once they got ahead on 15 minutes.

They had suffered a poor start as Castletown bagged 1-1 in the first three minutes - the goal coming from James Casey, and the point from Kevin Morris - and they missed a penalty on six minutes when Matt Doyle's shot was saved by Tommy Masterson.

They hit a couple of points in the next few minutes and then a goal from Jamie Crean levelled things at 1-2 each before a second goal from Ciarán Joyce three minutes later gave them a lead they never looked like losing.

They were double scores to the good (2-6 to 1-3) at the break, and even when Castletown struck for a goal on 42 minutes to give themselves some hope - with Jesse Foley being the scorer - Glynn-Barntown hit back straight away with another, through James Casey.

That was essentially that, and nobody complained when referee Ian Plunkett blew up a few minutes early when Castletown lost another couple of players through injury and there were no more willing spectators to come on for them.

Glynn-Barntown: Richard Ryan; Dylan Roche, David Clarke, Kevin Mahoney; James Stafford, Paschal Carley, Kevin Crean (0-2); Matt Doyle, Conor Fenlon (0-1); Fionn Cooney (0-1 free), David Farrell (0-4), Ciarán Joyce (1-1); Jamie Crean (1-1, 0-1 free), Ben O'Shea (1-0), Jimmer Doyle. Subs. - Cillian Joyce for Cooney (41), David Carroll for J. Doyle (49).

Castletown: Tommy Masterson; Peter Fogarty, Paul Nugent, Seán Carty; Cathal Gregan, John Carty, Oisín Condren; Jesse Foley (1-0), George Sunderland (0-1); Robbie Brooks (0-1), Kevin Morris (0-2), Liam Condren (0-1 free); Ryan Murphy, James Casey (1-1), Paddy Stamp. Sub. - Colin Sunderland for Foley, inj. (49).

Referee: Ian Plunkett (Marshalstown-Castledockrell).

Wexford People

Most Read