Tuesday 23 January 2018

Glynn-Barntown through to semis

Measured performance throughout

Dean Goodison

The Glynn-Barntown Minor footballers who marched on to the semi-finals after a 2-5 to 0-5 victory over Shelmaliers. Photos: Ger Hore
The Glynn-Barntown Minor footballers who marched on to the semi-finals after a 2-5 to 0-5 victory over Shelmaliers. Photos: Ger Hore
The Shelmaliers side who lost out to Glynn-Barntown in the Wexford People Coiste na nÓg quarter-final

A measured Glynn-Barntown performance was enough to see the hosts through to the Wexford People Coiste na nÓg Minor Football Championship semi-finals in Killurin on Wednesday evening last.

Glynn-Barntown 2-5 Shelmaliers 0-5

The victors were composed and boasted supreme movement and interchange for the first three quarters, building a five-point lead in the process. However, they were given a fright late on as Shelmaliers came within a whisker of levelling the contest in injury-time.

With the score at 1-5 to 0-5, with three minute over the 60 on the clock, Conor Hearne chipped a ball into Adam O'Leary's goalmouth that Nathan Ferguson Murphy and Evan Carr attacked on the edge of the square.

Agonisingly for the visitors, neither could get the slightest of touches that would surely have proved telling. Straight away Glynn-Barntown broke, Aaron Breen carried the ball fully 50 metres and, ignored other options, rifled high to Adam Howlin's net to wrap up victory.

Earlier, the first half was a tight affair. Liam Rockett opened the scoring with a point inside sixty seconds, Shelmaliers advantage didn't last long with the tricky Dylan Lyne winning a free that Michael Carroll converted.

The Hollymount club kicked five wides before they scored again, in the 23rd minute through Craig Parker. In the meantime, Carroll added his second over and Liam Berry made the most of a classy Cormac Cooney feed.

When Carroll converted his third free for a foul on Lyne, Glynn-Barntown were able to take a 0-4 to 0-2 lead in at the interval. A misplaced short kickout sent Liam Berry away three minutes after the change-around, the wing-forward made no mistake with his finish, shooting low past Howlin.

Conor Hearne broke a 22 minute spell without a score for Shelmaliers, their second of that duration in the game. Parker's free cut the gap to three before Adam O'Leary saved brilliantly with his feet from Ferguson Murphy with seven minute remaining.

Lyne kicked a nice score from the right wing, a point that was countered by another Parker free, but after all the late drama it was hosts Glynn-Barntown who advanced to the last for the championship.

Glynn will now face St Martin's in the semi-final and will fancy their chances if they can put in as strong a performance as they did in this tie. Shelmaliers will meet Naomh Eanna in the Premier Shield semi's in the coming weeks.

GLYNN-BARNTOWN: Adam O'Leary; Shane Doyle, David Roche, Garbhan MacCormack; Matthew Banville, Ger Dempsey, Jamie O'Shea; Cormac Rowe, Aaron Breen (capt, 1-0); Liam Berry (1-1), Bill Joyce, Cormac Cooney; Dylan Lyne (0-1), Richie Ryan, Michael Carroll (0-3 frees). Subs. - Ciaran Marlowe for Cooney (43), Michael Curran for Banville, inj (47), Jack Brazill for Carroll (57), Conor Clarke for Berry (60+4).

SHELMALIERS: Adam Howlin; Adam Hearne, Sean Carroll, James Doyle; Chris Cowman, Aaron O'Neill, Mark Power; Conor Hearne (0-1), Liam Rockett (0-1); Craig Parker (0-3 frees), Nathan Ferguson Murphy, Micheál O'Rourke; Dan Campbell (capt), Niall Hearne, Kyle Roche. Subs. - Ross Banville for N. Hearne (24), Evan Carr for O'Rourke (38), James Furlong for A. Hearne, inj (42), also, Aaron Doyle, Adam Kelly, Tom Keavney.

REFEREE: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Promoted Links