Tuesday 20 August 2019

GOH and Taghmon draw

Geraldine O'Hanrahans 1-9 Taghmon-Camross 0-12

Shane Bradley

District rivals Geraldine O'Hanrahans and Taghmon-Camross played out a closely-fought draw in the Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship round four Group B tie in Cushinstown on Saturday.

In a game with a lot of wides, 16 in all, both teams will be content with a point apiece. The New Ross men started much brighter as two Eoin Kelly frees edged the Geraldines ahead before Wexford Under-21 player Stephen O'Gorman opened the Taghmon-Camross account for 0-2 to 0-1 after five minutes.

The first goal came on eight minutes as Geraldines wing-forward Kevin Grangel was quickest to react to a breaking ball in the square and he shot low along the ground into the corner of the net as they went 1-2 to 0-1 ahead.

Eoin Kelly showed his accuracy from two more placed balls thereafter as the Geraldines led by 1-4 to 0-2 after 15 minutes as Taghmon-Camross defender Shane Lacey pointed.

Wing-back Stephen Stafford pointed from distance for Taghmon-Camross before they were awarded a penalty after Chris Cullen was held back. Cullen himself stepped up but his low shot was well saved by Brandon Gardiner as the New Ross men led at the break by a low-scoring 1-4 to 0-4.

Brian Haberlin and Luke Sinnott exchanged points from the off in the second-half as the game livened up. Barry Kelly pointed off his left after an excellent catch from Haberlin but Stephen O'Gorman, who was a real threat whenever he got the ball, replied straight after as the Geraldines led by 1-6 to 0-7 with 40 minutes gone.

Two Eoin Kelly frees extended their lead but Taghmon-Camross wing-forward Luke Sinnott scored a fine point from a huge distance to leave three between the sides with 15 minutes remaining.

Pierce Doyle added two close-range frees and Eoin Kelly replied before Darren Carty pointed off his right side to leave two between the sides with ten minutes remaining.

Luke Sinnott and Geraldines defender Dylan Egan then both hit huge distance points.

Whenever Taghmon-Camross got the ball to Stephen O'Gorman it worked to effect as he notched an excellent point from a tight angle before drawing a free late on for Pierce Doyle to raise the flag as the sides played out a low-scoring draw.

Geraldine O'Hanrahans: Brandon Gardiner; Enda Kelly, Gerry Cash, Ned Connors; Michael Cleere, Dylan Egan (0-1), Conor Cleere; Jack Foran, Brian Haberlin (0-1); Kevin Grangel (1-0), Stephen Somers, Eoin Kelly (0-6 frees); Barry Roche, David Crowdle, Barry Kelly (0-1). Subs. - Shane Murray for Crowdle (35), Brendan Furlong for Roche (57).

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; David O'Keeffe, Alan Nolan, Mark O'Gorman; Shane Lacey (0-1), Barry O'Gorman, Adam Winters; Stephen Stafford (0-1), Darren Carty (0-1); Shane Doyle, Chris Cullen, Thomas Furlong; Luke Sinnott (0-2), Stephen O'Gorman (0-3), Pierce Doyle (0-4 frees). Sub. - Barry Og McGrath for Winters (55).

Referee: Fintan Whyte (St. James').

Wexford People

Most Read