Saturday 17 August 2019

Good Counsel crush Moate CS

South Leinster post primary junior football 'A' final, Good Counsel College v St. Peters College (pictured) played in Bellefield.
South Leinster post primary junior football 'A' final, Good Counsel College v St. Peters College (pictured) played in Bellefield.

By Brendan Furlong in Stradbally

THE bright sun that hung over Stradbally certainly shone on Good Counsel as they demolished this Moate CS challenge with an excellent display of attacking football in this Leinster Colleges Junior Football Championship semi-final played at Stradbally on Friday afternoon.

Good Counsel College 3-13 Moate CS 1-9

Good Counsel may have been forced to play without two of their top quality players, Thomas O'Connor and Eoin Porter, both on Irish international soccer duty, but the team rose to the challenge turning in a performance that the opposition simply could not manage.

Through the opening ten minutes, Good Counsel and Jamie Meyler in particular laid the foundation for this victory as they swept into a 1-3 to 0-1 lead despite playing into the breeze. After Meyler and Sean Pettitt had exchanged opening points, it was Meyler who followed with a further left footed point, before crashing home a ninth minute penalty after Rory Higgins had been fouled as he moved in on goal. It was Meyler, who in particular shone in the opening sunshine, as he tapped over a free with all of his sides opening scoring coming from the trusty left boot of the St.James' player.

When Sean Nolan found the net at the end of the opening quarter, increasing his sides lead to 2-3 to 0-1, it looked as if it was going to be a cruise for the New Ross college, but it was in the second quarter that Moate began to haul themselves back into the game with full-forward Robert Forde crashing home a superb 24th minute goal after combining with Sean Farrell, a score that left just four points separating the sides, 2-5 to 1-4 at the interval.

After the break it was Moate who opened with a flourish as Jake Fanning stormed through for a point straight from the throw-in, while Robert Forde followed immediately with a pointed free, to leave just two point separating the sides, 2-5 to 1-6.

Good Counsel had built some promising attacks before two excellent Luke Sinnott points, who was the ideal target player all through, helped steady the side as they gradually took back the initiative. Having once again found their feet in midfield where Darragh Lyons was the dominant figure, along with an excellent half-back line of Gavin Shehan, Sam Wall and Richard Gill, they once again began to drive forward with excellently executed attacking football.

With centre-forward Sean Nolan lofting over two points, one an excellent forty meter free, along with a splendid Daragh Lyons effort out of midfield they stretched into a 2-9 to 1-6 lead. Despite the best efforts of Moate they were unable to break down the eventual winners defence, so it was no surprise that the games next goal was to come the way of the Good C ounsel boys.

Jamie Meyler having gained possession some forty meters from goal lofted in a high ball close to the crossbar that keeper Jordan Newton could only block out into the path of the inrushing Sean Nolan who calmly stabbed a low ball to the net, a score that just about summed up the dominance of the Good Counsel side, who once given a sniff of victory went on to control the game for most of the sixty minutes.

Good Counsel College: Darragh O'Connor; James O'Shea, Mark O'Neill, Jack Walsh; Gavin Sheehan, Sam Wall, Richard Gill; Andy Walsh, Darragh Lyong (0-1); Rory Higgins (0-2), Sean Nolan (2-2, 0-1 free), Richard Hennessy; Jamie Meyler (1-4, 1-0 pen), Luke Sinnott (0-4), Jimmy Sutton.

Moate CS; Jordan Newton; David Mullins, Rory Asple, Charlie Parker; Sean Clinton, Kieran Hartnett, Paul Gorman; Daniel Heavin (0-1), Jake Fanning (0-2); Harry Cornally, David Fleming (0-3, 0-1 free), Lorcan Daly; Sean Pettitt (0-1), Robert Forde (1-2, 0-1 free), Sean Farrell. Subs: Ronan McLoughlin for Farrell; POaraic Geoghegan for Fanning (b.c. 57).

Referee: Brendan Hickey (Kildare).

Wexford People

Most Read