Monday 11 December 2017

Gorey C.S. leave it late

Dean Goodison

Not scoring in the first 36 minutes is pretty much always fatal, yet Gorey Community School are still breathing in the Leinster Senior hurling 'B' championship after doing just that against Naas C.B.S. in Fenagh on Wednesday.

Gorey C.S. 1-9 Naas C.B.S. 2-5

From 2-3 to nil behind, the north Wexford school didn't concede again until they had taken the lead and eventually held on to edge their Kildare rivals to make the semi-final which is scheduled for the new year.

Unsurprisingly, a howling breeze was the main culprit in Gorey's scoring travails. So strong was the wind that goalkeeper Jack Cushe was struggling to pass his own '50 in the opening half, only to comfortably sail puck-outs past the same line on the field after the break.

That said, Naas actually scored more against the wind than they did with it and therein lies the reason for their loss. The Kildare school led by 1-2 to nil at the break but that simply wasn't enough of a buffer to keep their opponents at bay after half-time.

James Burke scored two frees but missed others in the period while Seán Mac Donnacha scrambled home a goal as Naas went ahead. Gorey's first attempt at the posts was a narrow miss from Jack Cullen in the 15th minute, and a few other half-chances went wide before the break.

Naas took the fight to Gorey after the re-start and added a second Mac Donnacha goal after Cushe initially saved Cathal Dowling's shot. Another Burke free made it 2-3 to nil before the tide slowly started to turn.

Aodhán Doyle notched his side's first point after Cullen was fouled before Eoin Corcoran added his opening minor. When Charlie McGuckin sneaked a vital goal in off the right post from Eoin Molloy's long ball in the 43rd minute, it was game on.

Five Doyle points in a row gave Gorey their first lead in the 52nd minute before Corcoran registered. Burke pulled his side within one (1-8 to 2-4), only for Gary Molloy to nail the score of the day from his own half.

Burke again cut the gap to the minimum in the last minute of normal time, but Gorey withstood the remaining pressure to book their spot in the last four.

Gorey C.S.: Jack Cushe; Seamus O'Donnell, Eoin Molloy, Eanna Carroll; Jack Cullen, Gary Molloy (capt., 0-1), Tony Kavanagh; Michael Carroll, Tiernan Doyle; Eoin Cullen, Eoin Corcoran (0-2), Cillian Donohoe; Charlie McGuckin (1-0), Aodhán Doyle (0-6, 4 frees, 1 '65), Seán Delaney. Subs. - Oisín Dunbar for McGuckin (45), also Eoin Kennedy, Luke Devitt, Dillon Kavanagh, Brendan Corcoran, David Christie, Shane Stokes, Larry Cullen.

Naas C.B.S.: Philip Tierney; Eoin Tobin, Michael Begley (capt.), Simon Leacy; Joe Pickles, Diarmuid Greene, James Dolan; James Burke (0-5 frees), Kevin Foley; Matthew Moran, Cathal Dowling, Seán Mac Donnacha (2-0); Shane Ryan, Conor Kielty, Ciarán Doyle. Sub. - Rian Boran for Foley, inj. (14).

Referee: David Hickey (Carlow).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links