Monday 18 December 2017

Gorey C.S. left to rue costly misses

Brendan Furlong in Carlow

Failure to turn their first-half possession into scores came back to haunt Gorey C.S. as they eventually went down to a one-point defeat to Coláiste Mhuire (Johnstown) in this excellent Leinster Schools Senior hurling 'B' Rest of Leinster semi-final at Carlow Town Hurling Club.

Col. Mhuire (Johnstown) 0-7 Gorey Community School 0-6

Gorey, playing with the assistance of a stiff breeze in the first-half, failed to turn their possession into scores, with wayward shooting and some hesitancy in front of goal depriving them, and this left them with a real battle on the resumption.

Having failed to take advantage through the opening 30 minutes, they strove valiantly through the second period inspired by the excellent Gary Molloy and Jack Cullen in the half-back line, while Eoin Molloy was performing heroics at full-back and fronted a confident Jack Cushe in goal.

Not helping their cause either was their failure to convert some scoreable frees which was in stark contrast to their opponents who utilised their chances when presented.

But with Coláiste Mhuire unable to stamp any real authority on the game, mainly because of the excellent Molloy and Cullen, it left Gorey with every chance of at least forcing extra-time.

Sadly, they were wide with two late attempts, as they saw their championship prospects evaporate in unfortunate circumstances.

David Nolan and Aodhán Doyle exchanged early pointed frees, with the Gorey boys taking the lead lead after 13 minutes when Doyle repeated the dose.

A further Oisín Dunbar point stretched his side into a two-point lead, but Doyle was wide with two free attempts, while they went on to shoot a further three successive wides from close to goal.

With Doyle and Nolan exchanging further pointed frees, Gorey C.S. led 0-4 to 0-3 at the interval, a rather flattering scoreline for the opposition.

Points from Brendan Phelan and Paul Collins within six minutes of the re-start had Coláiste Mhuire leading by 0-5 to 0-4, but one had to admire the Gorey boys' battling qualities as Jack Cullen lofted over a huge 80-metre pointed free, followed by an Aodhán Doyle free which saw them regain the lead (0-6 to 0-5) with twelve minutes remaining.

As the game moved into the closing six minutes, Coláiste Mhuire responded with a David Nolan pointed free to bring the sides level, while a Brian Kavanagh 60th-minute pointed free edged his side into a 0-7 to 0-6 lead.

Gorey had a chance of forcing extra-time but a Jack Cullen 70-metre free swirled just the wrong side of the post.

Gorey C.S.: Jack Cushe; Seamus O'Donnell, Eoin Molloy, Eanna Carroll; Jack Cullen (0-1 free), Gary Molloy, Tony Kavanagh; Michael Carroll, Cillian Donohoe; Eoghan Cullen, Eoin Corcoran, Tiernan Doyle; Charlie McGuckin, Aodhán Doyle (0-4 frees), Oisín Dunbar (0-1).

Coláiste Mhuire: Liam Dunphy; Páraic Sweeney, Harry Burke, Philip Purcell; Jonathan Doyle, David Donaghy, Gavin McCarthy; Niall Carroll, Paul Collins (0-1); Niall Brennan, Brendan Phelan (0-1), Páraic Delaney; Oisín Phelan (0-1), David Nolan (0-3 frees), Liam Grant. Subs. - Brian Kavanagh (0-1 free) for Nolan, Fionn Cleary for Grant.

Referee: Pat Kehoe (Carlow).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links