Tuesday 25 September 2018

Gorey in top form

Naomh Eanna 6-9 Volunteers 0-6

Harry Kehoe (Volunteers) on the move with Micheál Kennedy (Naomh Eanna) in pursuit
Harry Kehoe (Volunteers) on the move with Micheál Kennedy (Naomh Eanna) in pursuit
The triumphant Naomh Eanna squad
Reece Murphy (Volunteers) and Darragh Levingston (Naomh Eanna) contest this high ball

Dean Goodison

Naomh Eanna motored into the Gorey Guardian Juvenile football Premier championship final with a clinical display of attacking quality against Volunteers in St. Patrick's Park on Thursday.

In truth, the Gorey club were in irresistible form at both ends of the field. Their defence was exceptional as, to restrict a Vols side that had netted in every game they had played this season - racking up 27 majors in eight previous ties - to just six points was no mean feat.

At the other end of the pitch they were dynamic and quick on the counter-attack. A lot of their best work came when attacking with pace and quality from deep, with any one of their forwards capable of taking a score when the opportunity presented itself.

While it was a disappointing end to the season for an under-strength Volunteers, it was still a gallant effort from the John Street boys. They showed great fighting spirit to never throw in the towel. Lesser teams would have folded completely in the final quarter but they refused to quit.

Despite a fine Reece Murphy point, the writing was on the wall fairly early for the Volunteers.

Cian Browne and Caellum Travers-Devlin were already on the scoresheet when Darragh Canavan made the most of Darragh Levingston's through ball to net an opening goal.

Canavan had a second when his shot from distance found the net in between two Darragh Levingston points as Gorey went 2-4 to 0-1 up.

Things got worse for the Vols when Micheál Kennedy started a move that ended with Barry Levingston smashing to the net.

A couple of Murphy dead-balls gave his side something to work with at the break (3-5 to 0-3) but eight clinical minutes at the end of the third quarter wrecked their hopes. Callum Crehan's booming strike found the net before Wexford F.C. Under-15 Darragh Levingston netted a penalty.

Substitute George Slattery ended a flowing move, that Ryan Connolly started in the right full-back position, with Gorey's sixth goal.

Murphy and Eoin Foley added late points at the other end but it was Naomh Eanna who advanced to meet Starlights in the final.

Naomh Eanna: James Doran; Dylan Molloy, Cian Kenny, Seánie Quirke; Cathal Stokes, Seán Dowling, Micheál Kennedy; Callum Crehan (1-1), Caellum Travers-Devlin (0-3); Darragh Levingston (1-3, 1-0 pen., 0-1 free), Cian Molloy, Darragh Canavan (2-0); Jack Doran, Barry Levingston (1-0), Cian Browne (0-2, 1 free). Subs. - Ryan Connolly for Quirke (31), George Slattery (1-0) for Stokes, inj. (47), Mikey Cushe for B. Levingston (50), Seán O'Callaghan for Kennedy (52), Kevin Budeanu for Canavan (54), Ryan Kehoe for C. Molloy (55).

Volunteers: Michael Dempsey; Stuart Hession, Paul Deeny, Richie Browne; Stephen Burke, Jack Ryan, Shane McGuinness; Harry Kehoe, Eoin Foley (0-1); Reece Murphy (0-5, 4 frees), Cian Kehoe, Seán Murphy; Ciarán Carthy, Josh Murphy, Josh McMahon. Subs. - Sam McQuaid for R. Murphy (temp., 20-21), McQuaid for McGuinness (22), Jeff Maher for Hession (41), Callum Meyler for McMahon (41), Luke Crosbie for C. Kehoe (43), Oisín Kehoe for Carthy (47), Adam Moriarty for S. Murphy (49).

Referee: Mick Lanigan (Shelmaliers).

Wexford People

Most Read