Saturday 16 December 2017

Gorey undone by unanswered points

Brendan Furlong

Seven unanswered points in a nine-minute first-half spell powered Coláiste Iosagáin (Portarlington) to an eventual three-point victory over Gorey C.S. in this Top Oil South Leinster Post Primary Schools Junior football 'B' final at the Netwatch Carlow Training Centre in Fenagh on Thursday.

Coláiste Iosagáin 0-12 Gorey C.S. 1-6

In the opening five minutes the Gorey side looked quite impressive, building a succession of attacks, but they were unable to sustain the effort as their opponents took a firm grip on the midfield exchanges which enabled them to kick over a succession of excellent points from a variety of angles.

Calum Byrne-Murphy put the north Wexford school ahead with a neat opening-minute point. While their opponents got back level through a fifth-minute Colin Slevin point, a delightful move started in midfield was carried through by Eddie O'Brien-Murphy who picked out Páraic Hughes, leaving the Ballinstragh Gaels clubman to power home a superb shot across the 'keeper into the opposite corner of the net to give his side a 1-1 to 0-1 lead after six minutes.

But from then until the 15th minute the Coláiste Iosagáin side took a firm grip on proceedings, kicking over excellent points through the accurate finishing of Colin Slevin, Jake Nicholl and Mark Barry to lead by 0-8 to 1-1.

While Gorey managed to finish the half with two Jack Doran pointed frees, they still trailed by 0-8 to 1-3 at the interval.

While Gorey applied lots of early second-half pressure, their opponents refused to wilt, managing to counter-attack at pace. This led to a Mark Barry point to extend their lead.

Gorey responded with a point from midfielder Mark Boyle, but they were forced to go a lengthy stretch without a further score.

Coláiste Iosagáin had moved into a 0-12 to 1-4 lead before the Gorey side managed their second score of the second period, a Stephen Mordaunt point ten minutes from the end.

While they added a further Jack Doran pointed free one minute later, they were unable to translate pressure into scores mainly through wayward finishing, leaving them unable to claw back the three-point deficit.

Gorey C.S.: Aaron Hall (Réalt na Mara); Darragh Canavan (Castletown), Seán Dowling (Naomh Eanna), Cian Molloy (Naomh Eanna); Ben Morris (Ballinastragh Gaels), Nathan Byrne (Naomh Eanna), Adam Fleming (Réalt na Mara); Mark Boyle (Castletown, 0-1), Páraic Hughes (Ballinastragh Gaels, 1-0); Ben O'Connor (Ballinastragh Gaels), Stephen Mordaunt (Ballinastragh Gaels, 0-1), Billy Kavanagh (Ballinastragh Gaels); Calum Byrne-Murphy (Ballinastragh Gaels, 0-1 free), Eddie O'Brien-Murphy (Naomh Eanna), Jack Doran (Naomh Eanna, 0-3 frees). Subs. - Calum Travers (Naomh Eanna) for Byrne-Murphy, Conor Morris (St. Patrick's) for Kavanagh.

Coláiste Iosagáin: Seán Mooney; Oisín O'Dea, Adam Kirwan, Michael Bennett; Cathal Bennett, Glen Hassett, Colin Slevin (0-2); Seán Michael Corcoran, Patrick Hurley; Jake Nicholl (0-3, 1 free), Mark Barry (0-4), Matthew Byron (0-1); Conor McCarthy, Caoimhín Murphy (0-2), Darragh Galvin. Sub. - Michael Cunningham for Murphy.

Referee: David Hickey (Carlow).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links