Tuesday 23 January 2018

Gusserane edge it

Lyng's heroics not enough for Martin's

Edward O'Byrne (St Martins) and Ken Cahill (Gusserane)
Edward O'Byrne (St Martins) and Ken Cahill (Gusserane)

An injury-time point from live wire forward Sean Ryan got last year's beaten finalists Gusserane off to the perfect start in an enthralling Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship match in Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday.

Gusserane 1-12 - St Martin's 1-11

St Martin's can consider themselves unlucky not to have taken something from the game given that they hit 11 wides to Gusserane's five, and Ciaran Lyng in particular didn't deserve to taste defeat having contributed 1-9 of his side's total.

Lyng was a thorn in the side of the Gusserane defence from the off, dissecting the posts after just 30 seconds before slotting over a free to double their advantage.

The sides were level at 0-4 apiece by the 19th minute with Shane Cullen (free), Graham Cullen, Sean Ryan and Ken Cahill all finding the range for Gusserane with Lyng continuing to show his class with a further two points for Martin's.

Richard Devereux finally ended the Lyng's monopoly on the scoring, firing St Martin's in front in the 26th minute with a fine curling effort from Sean Ryan drawing Gusserane level and they finished the first-half on a high with a Shane Cullen free giving them a 0-6 to 0-5 interval lead.

The sides continued to look evenly matched with Sean Ryan and Shane Cullen (free) hitting early second-half points for Gusserane and Joe Coleman and Lyng replying for Martin's to leave the score 0-8 to 0-7 in favour of the New Ross District men.

However, Gusserane looked to have made the vital breakthrough in the 36th minute, when Paraic Conway palmed Sean Ryan's inviting ball to the back of the net.

St Martin's had other ideas however, with Lyng at the heart of the fightback, keeping his side in touch, showing unerring accuracy in slotting over three frees, with Shane Cullen (free) and Conway replying for Gusserane.

In the 54th minute Lyng showed nerves of steel to rifle a penalty into the corner of the net after Joe O'Connor had been dragged down in the area to level the scores at 1-10 apiece.

It was then the turn of another county man, Adrian Flynn, to take centre stage when he fired over a long-range free to restore his side's advantage.

It looked like there was going to be a fitting end to the tale when Lyng measured an excellent point in the 59th minute to tie up the scores but there was a sting in the script for the Murrintown men when the excellent Ryan fired over the winner in injury-time.

Wexford People

Promoted Links