Saturday 20 January 2018

Hogues bag 12 goals

Brendan Furlong

In years to come this scoreline will figure in many a quiz as Ballyhogue eased to an amazing 37-point victory over a weak Wygram Gaels outfit in this 2015 Under-21 football Roinn 1 championship semi-final in St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Saturday.

Ballyhogue 12-8 Wygram Gaels 1-4

Ballyhogue confirmed their superiority from the opening stages, storming into an eight-point lead inside just twelve minutes.

Such was their dominance and outfield superiority that they could have added at least a further five goals, but only slack finishing and some desperate defending denied them as they were about to apply the finishing touch.

While they have set up a final clash against Taghmon-Camross or Réalt Na Mara, this game will have served little purpose in their preparations, particularly after its on-off nature, as it was played at the fifth time of asking.

Ballyhogue were rampant but the same could not be said of their opponents who struggled in every sector of the pitch.

The display of the Wexford town side was simply atrocious, with little evidence that either Clonard or Volunteers are in a position to make an impact this season. Players struggled to win possession and simply threw in the towel after an avalanche of early Ballyhogue scores.

Dylan Dalton and Mikey Lawlor exchanged points inside the opening three minutes, but that was as good as it got for the Wexford town side.

Goals from Dalton and Noel Roche had the eventual winners leading by 2-3 to 0-1 after twelve minutes, while Syl Byrne and Roche had goalbound efforts cleared off the line.

Ballyhogue were savouring the occasion and set their focus on more scores, managing to add further goals through Dalton (two), Mick Condon and Shane Byrne to lead by 6-5 to 0-3 at the interval.

Roche and Dalton also missed out on further goal chances, as the Gaels managed just a further two points through Mikey Lawlor and Tomme Smillie.

The second-half was even more one-sided if that was possible, as within 30 seconds of the re-start Shane Byrne strolled through the centre to send a rising shot to the net.

Ballyhogue were keeping up the pace of their game as they moved the ball swiftly and accurately through the hands despite the rain and subsequent heavy conditions.

Just three minutes into the second-half, Noel Roche added his side's eighth goal, before Wygram Gaels responded one minute later with a Lawlor major. It was simply a case of what the final scoreline would be as the Enniscorthy District side added further goals from substitute Dean Power (two) and Noel Roche.

And they added even more to the embarrassment of their opponents when substitute Ronan Minogue fired home his side's twelfth goal six minutes from the end, capping one of the most one-sided semi-finals in the history of this championship.

Ballyhogue, who narrowly lost the corresponding final in 2014 to Crossabeg-Ballymurn, will now await the outcome of the second penultimate round tie which is due to go ahead this coming weekend.

The Enniscorthy District side will face Taghmon-Camross or Réalt na Mara in the decider early next month.

Ballyhogue: Darragh Byrne; Conor Long, Graham Parker, Cian Rodgers; Peter Doyle, Shane Doyle, Micheál Long; Syl Byrne (0-1), Shane Byrne (2-0); Conor Byrne, John Kehoe, Mick Condon (1-0); Fionn Rochford, Dylan Dalton (3-2), Noel Roche (3-3, 0-2 frees). Subs. - Dean Power (2-0) for Condon, Declan Power (0-1) for Rochford, Shane Fenlon for Syl Byrne, Ronan Minogue (1-1) for P. Doyle, Liam Rossiter for Roche.

Wygram Gaels: Keith Harpur; Cian O'Keeffe, Emmett O'Connor, Richard Cleary; Cian Brennan (0-1 free), Paddy Glover, Aaron Smyth; T.J. Doyle, Tony Crosbie; Ian McGuire, Adam Baziz, Jesse Farrell; Mikey Lawlor (1-1), Shane Bates (0-1), Tomme Smillie (0-1).

Referee: Eddie O'Sullivan (Kilanerin).

Wexford People

Promoted Links