Monday 23 October 2017

Horeswood in control from the off

Noel O'Keeffe, Horeswood captain Cathal Mernagh and Brendan Furlong (People Newspapers Ltd)
Noel O'Keeffe, Horeswood captain Cathal Mernagh and Brendan Furlong (People Newspapers Ltd)
The shield-winning Horeswood team

The slickness of Horeswood, particularly through the opening half, set them up for a comfortable twelve-point victory over St. Martin's in this New Ross Standard Under-14 football Division 1 shield final in Taghmon on Monday.

Horeswood 1-11 St.Martin's 0-2

The play of the Horeswood boys was admirable and their determination to atone for their championship disappointment was evident from the very start of proceedings.

They controlled the opening half with slick football, particularly in attack, a period in which they laid the foundations for eventual victory.

St. Martin's overcame a slow opening to show real improvement on the resumption.

However, they had left themselves with far too much to do, and while enjoying lots of second-half possession, they lacked the forward strength to seriously threaten their opponents.

Horeswood swept into a 0-3 to nil lead inside the opening five minutes with points from Matthew Foley (two) and Barry Walsh-Howlin, but once a lobbing Jack Kehoe shot found its way to the net four minutes later they looked quite comfortable, leading by 1-3 to nil.

St. Martin's did manage a series of attacks, but their shooting was wayward, and with Horeswood adding further points through Robbie Delaney along with two from Joe O'Sullivan, they went in leading by 1-3 to nil at the interval.

As the second-half developed, St. Martin's played with a greater tempo to their play.

After Jack White increased his side's led with a pointed free, Conor Kelly opened the losers' account after 34 minutes with a fine point.

But Horeswood were not for allowing the initiative to slip, responding with points from Jack Kehoe (two) and Matthew Foley, one of the stars of the show, before St. Martin's closed out the scoring with a late John Hennessy pointed free.

Horeswood: Ryan Rowe; Neil Ennis, Nigel Dunne-Sheriff, Dean Roberts; Jim Wallace, Jack Kehoe (1-2), Jason Murphy; Cathal Mernagh (capt.), Barry Walsh-Howlin (0-1); Joe O'Sullivan (0-2), Robbie Delaney (0-1), Danny Nolan; Matthew Foley (0-4), Seán Hunt, Jack White (0-1 free). Subs. - Jordan Murray-Parle for Nolan, Alex Molloy for Ennis, John Chapman for White, Dermot Clancy for Hunt, Daryl Walsh-Parle for Murphy, Conor Doyle for Roberts.

St. Martin's: Francis Dempsey; Oisín Waters, Shane Walsh, Jamie Berry; James Mernagh, Ben Morris, David Codd; Conor Stafford, Zac Firman; Conor Devereux, Conor Kelly (0-1), Adam Feery; Joe Barrett, David Cantwell, Seán Roche. Subs. - Gillian Corkery for Mernagh, John Hennessy (0-1 free) for Barrett, Rory Whelan for Waters, Conor Doyle for Feery, Oisín Doyle for Codd, also David O'Boyle, Conor Keane, Rory Walsh, Jim McDermott, Luke Kavanagh, Jess Ryan, Jake Whitty.

Referee: George Dee (Taghmon-Camross).

Wexford People

Most Read