Wednesday 22 November 2017

Horeswood produce the goods

Permanent TSB Junior Hurling Championship: Horeswood 3-11 Clongeen 0-10

Shane Bradley at New Ross

A strong second half performance helped Horsewood progress to the last four of the Permanent TSB Junior hurling championship after a ten-point victory versus New Ross District rivals Clongeen in New Ross last Saturday afternoon.

Playing against a strong breeze in the first half the woodies always seemed a step ahead of their opponents throughout.

Horeswood started brightest in the first quarter with the pacey Declan Murphy scoring a fine individual effort to open the scoring on three minutes, Clongeen wing forward Ger Foxe replied straight after.

Horeswood then swept into a five point lead after two Seán Nolan points, a Micheal O'Hanlon free and the opening goal came on fifteen minutes when Declan Murphy soloed at the heart of the Clongeen defence and although his shot was not executed perfectly it found its way to the net from inside the 21-yard-line as they led 1-4 to 0-2 after the opening quarter.

Clongeen then burst into life with five consecutive points all from the Cahill brothers, Shane Cahill pointing two frees, younger brother Paidi capitilising on a defensive mistake and two further points from midfielder Shane Cahill had the sides level with 25 minutes played, 1-4 to 0-7.

Horeswood corner forward Ivan Kehoe slotted over from a tight angle close in before Michael O'Hanlon added his first score from play.

A Shane Cahill free reduced the arrears to the minimum at the break, 1-6 to 0-8.

Horeswood started the second period in fine fashion as Declan Murphy added a another fine effort before the second goal of the game, a mix up in the Clongeen defence was punished as Seán Nolan passed inside to Michael O'Hanlon who blasted low to the net to leave five between the sides with 38 minutes played, 2-7 to 0-8.

O'Hanlon and Cahill then exchanged frees, with Declan Murphy adding another point from distance. In the final exchanges Seán Nolan added 1-1 as he drifted in behind the Clongeen full back line for a goal to slot past Ricky Rochford to leave the final score a convincing 3-11 to 0-10.

It must be said for a disappointing second half display from Clongeen as they failed to register from play with only 0-2 albeit from placed balls as Horeswood comfortably progress to the final four.

Horsewood: Eoin Mythen, Eamonn O'Sullivan, Shane O'Hanlon, David Larkin, Danny Byrne, Barry Hearn, David Murphy, Paddy Murphy, Seán Stafford, Seán Nolan (1-3), Leigh O'Brien, Declan Murphy (1-3), Ivan Kehoe (0-1), Michael O'Hanlon (1-4, 3f), Eoin Murphy. Subs: Damien Hearne for P Murphy (45 min), Jim Wall for I Kehoe (47 min), Dylan Whitty for E Murphy (59 min).

Clongeen: Ricky Rochford, Danny O'Grady, Anton Stafford, Donal Whelan, Richard Rochford, Barry Foxe, Marty Reville, Paul Curtis, Shane Cahill (0-8. 6f), Ger Foxe (0-1), Robert O'Farrell, Shane Kilkenny, Paidi Cahill (0-1), Enda Murphy, Donal Whelan

Referee: Brendan Holohan (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown).

Wexford People

Promoted Links