Monday 26 August 2019

Inters go down to Lillies

Dean Goodison

Two from dangerous full-forward Susie O'Carroll condemned Wexford to their second defeat in as many games in the Irish Daily Star National Camogie League Division 2 in Hollymount on Sunday.

Kildare 3-13 Wexford 0-6

After a narrow loss against Westmeath in their first game, hopes were high for an extremely youthful Wexford side on home soil. It wasn't to be however as Kildare proved their strength with three first-half goals against the breeze that all but wrapped up victory.

The match was played on the third pitch in the Shelmaliers G.A.A. grounds and it simply wasn't up to inter-county standard. The grass resembled U.S. Open-style rough while old line markings caused an argument between both sides' management teams over a line ball.

Yet, the most farcical moment happened at the beginning of the second-half when the game had to be delayed because the Kildare goalkeeper, Róisín O'Connell, was being hit by the goal net that wasn't secured to the ground.

Kildare already had two points on the board when Deirbhile Byrne's handpass picked out Susie O'Carroll and she drilled her shot past Sarah Donnellan to the rigging. A floppy, floaty O'Carroll effort beat the Wexford stopper for the visitors' second goal two minutes later.

If the second goal was bad, the third was horrid as Emer Reilly's free from outside the '45 drifted into the hosts' net to make it 3-3 to 0-1 after 16 minutes. Mary Cummins' second free pulled a point back for the Slaneysiders but Kildare went in at half-time leading by 3-5 to 0-2.

Playing against the breeze seemed to suit Wexford in the second-half. There was a bite in the performance that was missing in the first period and they held their own for much of the 30 minutes.

Kildare did get the first five points of the half but Wexford responded with Una Sinnott and Cummins combining well to put the Lilywhites under pressure. Craanford youngster Sinnott forced O'Connell into two fine saves and Wexford eventually added points from Rachel Collier.

Two more Collier points dragged Wexford back to 3-10 to 0-6 behind, while Cummins narrowly flashed an effort wide after a powerful run. Kildare's Siobhán Hurley scored the last three points to wrap up her side's first win of the season.

Overall it wasn't too bad for Wexford. Blooding young talent is exactly what the Intermediate side should be all about and there is no lack of youth in manager Tom Dunphy's squad to work with going forward.

Wexford: Sarah Donnellan; Nancy Dunphy, Farren Byrne, Aisling O'Connor; Katie Lillis, Nessa Wickham, Molly McGuckin; Aisling Higgins, Louise Stafford; Clodagh Fitzhenry, Una Sinnott, Victoria Burke; Amy Ryan, Mary Cummins (capt., 0-2 frees), Rachel Collier (0-4, 2 '45s, 1 free). Subs. - Ellen Roche for Burke (31), Alex Donohoe for Fitzhenry (31), Doireann Kavanagh for Lillis (39), Geraldine Curtis for Donnellan (41).

Kildare: Róisín O'Connell; Clodagh Flanagan, Carol Nolan, Niamh Concannon; Fiona Trant, Angela Lyons, Niamh Hegarty; Caroline Forde, Emer Reilly (1-4 frees); Regina Gorman, Noelle Earley, Siobhán Hurley (0-5, 2 frees); Laura Sheahan (0-1), Susie O'Carroll (capt., 2-2), Deirbhile Byrne (0-1). Subs. - Louise Keatley for Gorman (31), Ciara Egan for Byrne (31), Niamh Breen for Hegarty (42), Hazel Mulligan for Concannon (42), Kathleen Daly for Lyons (51), Hannah McDonnell for Sheahan (51).

Referee: Jenny Byrne (Dublin).

Wexford People

Most Read