Thursday 18 January 2018

Jacob's cracking winner

Shamrocks 1-15 Adamstown 0-17

Dean Goodison

Shamrocks veteran Anthony Wallace in command of this situation
Shamrocks veteran Anthony Wallace in command of this situation
Harry Goff of Shamrocks comes under pressure from Adamstown’s Brendan Furlong

Bob Jacob's injury-time '65 gave Shamrocks their second victory in as many games in The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship Group B at O'Kennedy Park on Saturday.

The Enniscorthy town side had taken their first lead of the game when Jacob scored a 58th-minute free. However, Adamstown hit right back and tied proceedings when Tony French scored his eleventh point of the afternoon.

It was real championship fare thereafter as both sides upped the tempo, looking for the crucial lead point. Brandon O'Connor had half a sight of goal as the game ticked into added-time but, when his shot was blocked behind, Jacob nailed the dead-ball.

There was still a couple of minutes of stoppage time to play but, buoyed by their rousing revival, Shamrocks dominated those and were able to hold on without giving up a shot at their posts.

It was a fitting end to a fantastically competitive game. Adamstown played with the breeze in the opening half and flew out of the blocks, scoring six points and flighting four wides with less than eight minutes on the clock. 

French got three of those scores but the pick was probably the opener scored by Johnny Connors. With Shamrocks a little flat, the bench got involved and really lifted those on the field with rousing vocal support.

The reaction was impressive, as they out-scored their opponents in the remainder of the half and went in just two points behind (0-9 to 0-7). Five of the Shamrocks scores were frees but Brandon O'Connor picked off a nice point before the interval to leave the outcome hanging in the balance.

Adamstown started the second period with the bit between their teeth and scores from Tony French (two), Harry Cosgrave and John French moved them four points clear. However, when O'Connor reacted quickest to fire home after Ronan Gahan's shot was blocked, it was game on (0-13 to 1-9).

Shamrocks were able to get level three times before they hit the front for the first time in the 58th minute. While French responded, there was still one twist in the tale as Jacob sent over the winning point to leave Shamrocks perfect after two games of the championship.

Shamrocks: Jamie Dagg; Barry Dobbs, Mick Weafer, Podge Doyle; Anthony Wallace, George Jacob, Karl Cullen; Bob Jacob (0-6, 5 frees, 1 '65), Cyril Thorpe; Harry Goff, Jack Moorehouse (0-3), Brandon O'Connor (1-2); Seán Wildes (0-2), John Thorpe (0-2 frees), Ronan Gahan. Subs. - Philip Freeman for J. Thorpe, temp. (29-31), Freeman for C. Thorpe (47), Pa Weafer for J. Thorpe (55).

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; John Whelan, P.J. Carroll, Ian Bradley; James Breen, Shane O'Gorman, Brendan Furlong; Johnny Connors (0-1), Michael Furlong; Tony French (0-11, 8 frees), Lorcan French (0-1), John French (0-1); Barry Power, Liam Stafford, Harry Cosgrave (0-3). Subs. - Paddy Whitty for Power (23), Paudie Barden for Breen, temp. (28-31), Barden for L. French (42), Shane White for Furlong (57).

Referee: David Jenkins (Gusserane).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links