Friday 24 November 2017

Kevin's fine gesture

Kevin Sheridan's dedication to the cause didn't go unnoticed recently.

The promising Under-21 forced his way onto the Oulart-The Ballagh Senior team this year and was a regular in the half-back line.

And despite the disappointment of their extra-time loss to Na Piarsaigh in the AIB All-Ireland Club semi-final, Kevin was determined not to let his colleagues in Maynooth University down.

Therefore, the following day he travelled to Hawkfield in Newbridge where the students lost the final of the Kehoe Cup - named after Wexfordman Micheál, a former G.A.A. President - to the Kildare county team by 3-15 to 3-5.

His gesture was much appreciated on a day when Maynooth started without a few regulars like Galway sharpshooter Brian Molloy and Offaly's Paul Kinsella.

Kevin was one of four Wexford starters, with an early goal from Oylegate-Glenbrien's Jim White giving them a boost. White departed with an injury near the end of the third quarter, and he was also joined on the team by Tom Stafford of Naomh Eanna plus Buffers Alley's Ross Donohoe who scored two points before being unluckily dismissed on a second yellow card near the end.

The Malachy Travers-managed Maynooth made home side U.C.D. work hard before the Belfield side booked their place in the Fitzgibbon Cup quarter-finals with a 1-13 to 0-10 win on Tuesday.

Stafford, Sheridan and Donohoe all featured once again, with White's injury ruling him out. U.C.D. included Seán Murphy (Buffers Alley) and Eoin Conroy (Naomh Eanna) in the full-back line, Jack O'Connor (St. Martin's, 0-1) at centre half-forward, while Conor Devitt (Ballyfad) came on.

W.I.T., with Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown) in goal, still advanced to the last eight despite a 1-8 to 1-5 loss to home side I.T. Carlow, while Tony French (Adamstown) and Daire Barden (Fethard) played with D.C.U. in their 2-17 to 1-20 dead rubber draw with St. Pat's Mater-Dei.

D.I.T., with Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers) at centre half-back, Jack Guiney (Rathnure, 0-3 frees) at right half-forward, and Billy Kelly (HWH-Bunclody) coming off the bench, shipped an unmerciful 1-20 to 0-5 hammering to Limerick's Mary Immaculate at the Parnell's club grounds in Coolock.

Wexford People

Promoted Links