Tuesday 16 January 2018

Kilanerin comfortable

Dean Goodison

Kilanerin kept up their winning start to life in the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship with their second Group B victory in a week, this time against St. Mary's (Maudlintown) in Monamolin on Saturday.

Kilanerin 1-11 St Mary 0-7

The Gorey District side, relegated from the Senior ranks last autumn, began their campaign for promotion back up with a win over Bannow-Ballymitty and didn't have to get out of second gear to add another two points against St. Mary's.

There's no doubt about the battling spirit of the Rocks-based side but they couldn't match their opponents for overall quality. They never stopped chipping away at Kilanerin and ended up winning the second-half through sheer guts and bundles of energy.

St. Mary's only had pride to play for after a poor start left them in a hole. Led by a superb performance from Conor Byrne, the victors raced into a 1-6 to nil lead after just 20 minutes.

Byrne opened the scoring in the third minute and Jim Hughes added a point one minute later as Kilanerin made use of the space provided to them inside their opponents' '45.

Matty Forde got his solitary point from play in the sixth minute. After seven in-game scores last week it's a testament to the performance of Christy Lane that the former national 'player of the year' was so quiet.

Hughes notched his second point in the eighth minute and moments later Byrne slalomed through the heart of the Maudlintown defence for the game's only goal.

A point by the goalscorer and a minor from Dean O'Toole rounded out the opening 20 minutes for Kilanerin.

Martin O'Connor scored St. Mary's only point of the first-half. It preceded a Mark Gethings point that made the score 1-7 to 0-1 at the interval.

Raised white flags from Gavin Cullen and O'Connor ensured a positive start to the second-half for St. Mary's.

They went on to add a couple of superb scores through Eddie Pitman and Graham Carty but Kilanerin, with two more from the foot of Byrne, were able to keep their resilient opponents at arm's length.

Kilanerin: Tom Hughes; Brian Hughes, Richard Hughes, Edward Hughes; Aidan Jones, Colm Kavanagh, Mark Gethings (0-1); Conor Devitt, Jim Hughes (0-2); Conor Byrne (1-4), Tommy Boland, Niall Hughes; Mark Boland, Matty Forde (0-2, 1 free), Dean O'Toole (0-2). Subs. - Lorcan Clare for J. Hughes (49), Damien Whelan for Boland (49), Emmett O'Toole for Forde (58).

St. Mary's: Paul Dempsey; Paul O'Connor, Christy Lane, Alex Lynch; Alan Lynch, Graham Carty (0-1), Pierce Dooley; Dermot Flood (0-1 free), Donal O'Leary (capt.); Gavin Cullen (0-1), Martin O'Connor (0-3 frees), Eddie Pitman (0-1); Barry Harpur, Roy Doyle, Ross Lynch. Sub. - Gary Murphy for O'Leary, black card (16).

Referee: Eric Molloy (St. James').

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links