Sunday 18 August 2019

Kilmore edge out Mary's

Dave Devereux

An understrength St. Mary's profligacy in front of the posts was the rock they perished on as they went down to a narrow defeat to Kilmore in the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship Group B in Killurin on Saturday.

Kilmore 0-9 St Mary's (M) 1-4

The Wexford town side hit 18 wides in comparison to Kilmore's three so will feel it's a game they could and should have won with greater shooting accuracy and better decision-making in the final third of the field.

Kilmore were far more economical with their shooting and a six-point haul from Daithí Moore helped them to a nervy victory.

St. Mary's started brightly enough but were guilty of some wayward shooting, and Daithí Moore showed them how it's done when he curled over a fine effort to put Kilmore ahead in the seventh minute.

Seconds later Dermot Flood saw his shot on goal comfortably smothered by Kilmore goalkeeper Kevin Casey, and they took advantage of their reprieve to lead by four points after 17 minutes with Daithí Moore adding two frees to his tally either side of a Tom Byrne point, one of his last acts before leaving the fray after being shown a black card.

Dermot Flood finally got St. Mary's off the mark on 20 minutes but Kilmore immediately hit back with two excellent points from substitute John Codd and Daithí Moore.

In the 24th minute Kilmore full-forward Noel Casey dragged an effort on goal just wide so they had to be content with a 0-6 to 0-1 interval lead.

Playing with the wind in the second-half, St. Mary's were quickly back in the game, scoring 1-1 in the first three minutes to reduce the deficit to a point.

After just a minute of the re-start Eddie Pitman fired in a hopeful ball which Alan Flood got on the end of to punch to the net, and two minutes later the provider turned scorer when Pitman added a point.

A Jason Swords free on 41 minutes levelled matters but St. Mary's failed to kick on with their wastefulness still very much in evidence.

Daithí Moore and Jason Swords swapped frees as the sides went into the final five minutes deadlocked but another Moore point edged Kilmore ahead.

With the 60 minutes almost up Christy Lane saw a goal attempt go agonisingly wide, and a point from Paddy Byrne at the other end sealed the Kilmore win.

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Peter Shannon, Stevie Cousins, William Carley; Shane Goff, Denis Kenny, Nathan Bates; Tom Byrne (0-1), Paddy Byrne (0-1), Daithí Moore (0-6, 3 frees), Alan Jones, Liam Shannon; Aaron Goff, Noel Casey, Conor Moore. Subs. - John Codd (0-1) for T. Byrne (black card), Kevin Keating for Bates, Graham Mernagh for S. Goff.

St. Mary's (Maudlintown): Paul Dempsey; Roy Doyle, Paul O'Connor, Pierce Dooley; Barry Harpur, Christy Lane, Gary Murphy; Martin O'Connor, Graham Carty; Jason Swords (0-2 frees), Donal O'Leary, Eddie Pitman (0-1), Dermot Flood (0-1 free), Alan Flood (1-0), Gavin Cullen. Sub. - Ciarán Moroney for Harpur (black card).

Referee: John Diskin (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Most Read