Tuesday 20 August 2019

Kilmore out-point Kilanerin

Kilmore 0-8 Kilanerin 0-6

Brendan Furlong

It may not have been pretty, but Kilmore did just about enough to secure a knockout spot having emerged with a two-point victory over Kilanerin in this disappointing Joyces Expert Intermediate 'A' football Championship Group B game in St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Sunday.

Despite the important win, Kilmore will know they will have to do a whole lot better if they are to go on to ultimate honours, as this was a game where they struggled for the most part before eventually capitalising to snatch both points on offer.

Minus the services of their leading player, former inter-county midfielder Paddy Byrne, they looked leaderless, while their over-elaborate handpassing stifled their game.

Indeed, their only two spells of quick, direct football from defence to the attack led to two excellent second-half points which proved crucial in the end.

Kilanerin for their part needed a victory to keep their title aspirations alive.

They kept a foothold in this game right to the very end but their lack of scoring power stifled their challenge.

They played more of the direct football but missing some chances through wayward shooting proved costly as their season is now on the downward slope.

The first-half had little to offer. Kilanerin took an early two-point lead through William Murphy and Emmet O'Toole, with Kilmore having to wait until the tenth minute for their opening score through Thomas Byrne.

O'Toole and Byrne exchanged further points, with Damien Whelan and Tommy Cousins also getting in on the scoring, before a Daithí Moore point sent the sides in level (0-4 each) at the interval.

Ten second-half minutes had elapsed before the opening score through Moore, while nine minutes later an Aaron Goff point left two (0-6 to 0-4) separating the sides.

Kilanerin's first second-half score arrived in the 54th minute through an O'Toole free, before Thomas Byrne kicked over a huge 50-metre point to extend his side's lead.

A Danny Howard point reduced the margin to the minimum, but close on time it was Denis Kenny who pointed to ensure his side took two valuable points.

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Alan Jones, Stevie Cousins, Martin Frayne; Aaron Kielty, Tommy Cousins (0-1), Eoin Cooney; Noel Casey, William Carley; Aaron Goff (0-1), Thomas Byrne (0-3), Denis Kenny (0-1); Kevin Keating, Daithí Moore (0-2), Mark Sinnott. Sub. - Shane Goff for Keating.

Kilanerin: Eoin Lucey; Damien Tobin, Edward Hughes, Lorcan Clare; Conor Byrne, Cillian O'Toole, Paddy Carton; Jim Hughes, Stephen Hughes; Danny Howard (0-1), Danny Boland, Damien Whelan (0-1); Emmet O'Toole (0-3, 2 frees), Wayne Farrell, William Murphy (0-1). Subs. - Mark Gethings for Murphy, Martin Sheehan for Farrell, Lee Owley for Whelan.

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Most Read