Friday 23 August 2019

Ladies pipped on trip to Tipp

Narrow defeat in league

Rival captains Clara Donnelly and Barbara Ryan before the game, with referee Jason Mullins
Rival captains Clara Donnelly and Barbara Ryan before the game, with referee Jason Mullins
The Wexford squad before Sunday's game in Ned Hall Park, the home of the Clonmel Og club

ipperary claimed a crucial one-point win over Wexford in the fifth round of the Tesco Homegrown Division 3 National Ladies' Football League in Clonmel on Sunday.

Tipperary 2-7 - Wexford 1-9

 Wexford were first off the mark when Chantelle Martin pointed a 20-metre free after Katie Redmond was fouled. Tipperary's full-forward, Gillian O'Brien, who was a thorn in Wexford's side throughout, then got three points in a row, two of which were from frees.

Maria Byrne responded with a point before O'Brien pointed another free and wing-back Louise Cadell found herself up the field to add another point to put the home side 0-5 to 0-2 ahead after 25 minutes.

Wexford, who had lost Danielle Chin and Róisín Murphy to injuries on a bumpy pitch by this stage, then came into their own as they went in front before the break with first a point from the hard-working Maria Byrne, and two minutes later she goaled but the referee disallowed it for a foul on her as she was going through.

A penalty was the result and Chantelle Martin coolly slotted it to the net. Katie Redmond then added another point from a free to leave the score at half-time 1-4 to 0-5 in favour of the Model county.

Whatever the Tipperary manager, John Leahy, said to his girls at half-time, it worked as they put themselves in the driving seat with Gillian O'Brien scoring two goals within six minutes of the re-start. Her first goal was a brilliant individual effort and she capitalised on a mistake in the Wexford defence to rattle home number two.

Fair play to the Wexford girls though as they never let their heads drop and they set about taking control back from the Premier outfit.

The Model county women were level ten minutes later with points from Chantelle Martin, Katie Redmond, Maria Byrne and Niamh Moore, and indeed they could have been further ahead but they missed out on two goal chances after winning Tipperary kick-outs.

Tipperary eventually broke out of their own half and substitute Sarah Everard, who had just come on, put them back ahead when she scored a fine point. Wexford were then dealt a blow when Chantelle Martin was given a yellow card, but they did manage to level it again with Maria Byrne's fourth point.

Kellie Kearney was next to fall foul of the referee when he sent her to the bin with five minutes remaining. Tipperary regained the lead soon after when once again Gillian O'Brien split the posts. Tipperary's Louise Cadell was then sin-binned for persistent fouling and though Wexford tried everything to try to salvage the game, time ran out.

Wexford's next game is another away outing when they travel to Leitrim in two weeks' time.

Wexford: Aoife McAuliffe; Maeve Quill, Marica Cullen, Ciara Neville; Sharon Kehoe, Niamh Cloke-Rochford, Danielle Chin; Róisín Murphy, Clara Donnelly (capt.); Niamh Moore (0-1), Maria Byrne (0-4), Kellie Kearney; Chantelle Martin (1-2), Ellen O'Brien, Katie Redmond (0-2). Subs. - Beth Cardiff for Chin, Niamh Crosbie for Murphy, Ciara Goland for Cullen, Marcella Cullen for Redmond, Georgina Hearn for Crosbie.

Tipperary: Amy Jordan; Treasa McGrath, Marie Curley, Elaine Kelly; Barbara Ryan (capt.), Emma Buckley, Louise Cadell (0-1); Breda Feeney, Bernie Ryan; Róisín McGrath, Aoife Ryan, Shauna Ryan; Sarah Ryan, Gillian O'Brien (2-5), Aimee Pollard. Subs. - Lorraine O'Shea for R. McGrath, Ann O'Dwyer for Curley, Sarah Everard (0-1) for Pollard, Aoibhe O'Shea for Bernie Ryan, Maureen Murphy for S. Ryan.

Referee: Jason Mullins (Limerick).

Wexford People

Most Read