Tuesday 23 January 2018

Late surge sees Ballyfad home

Deab Goodison

Trailing by two in the 59th minute, Ballyfad powered to victory with four late points in their Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship Group A tie with Taghmon-Camross in St. Patrick's Park on Sunday.

Ballyfad 1-13 Taghmon-Camross 2-8

Taghmon-Camross led 2-8 to 1-8 after Pierce Doyle's 52nd-minute free and were still clinging to the lead, even after Denis Jones replied with a 55th-minute point. However, Niall Hughes began the turnaround with a point off his knees and then levelled the scores with a long-ranger seconds later.

Jones gave Ballyfad their first lead since the 40th minute as the game moved into added time. Barry O'Gorman dragged a line ball attempt, to tie the contest, wide and the Gorey District side marched up the field and sealed the win off Emmet O'Toole's stick.

Earlier, the sides were tied 0-4 apiece after the opening quarter. Ballyfad, who were indebted to Conor Devitt for all those scores, took the lead when Niall Hughes scored his first point in the 17th minute.

A searching Richard Hughes ball into the edge of the square was met perfectly and batted to the net by Peter Hughes to give Ballyfad a 1-5 to 0-5 lead at the interval.

Taghmon-Camross, who managed just a Pierce Doyle point in the second quarter, needed less than 30 seconds of the third to draw level. Their goal was scored by Mick O'Gorman from close range after a fantastic handpass over two defenders by Stephen O'Gorman.

Mark Boland gave his side the lead again, only for Stephen O'Gorman to cleverly break an Ian Carty pass into his stride and drill past Tom Hughes. With a couple of Pierce Doyle frees and an O'Gorman point, the lead was maintained until the late Ballyfad onslaught.

The victors sit proudly atop the table after two games as the only unbeaten side and look near certs for the quarters. With two points on the board and games against St. James', Marshalstown-Castledockrell and Our Lady's Island to come, there's no reason why Taghmon-Camross can not make the last eight too.

Ballyfad: Tom Hughes; Enda O'Leary, Colm Kavanagh, Cillian O'Toole; Aidan Jones, Stephen Hughes, Bobby Hughes; Mark Boland (0-1), Tommy Boland; Niall Hughes (0-3), Richard Hughes, Dean O'Toole; Denis Jones (0-2), Peter Hughes (1-0), Conor Devitt (capt., 0-6, 4 frees). Subs. - Jim Hughes for O'Toole, Emmet O'Toole (0-1) for P. Hughes, Lorcan Clare for R. Hughes.

Taghmon-Camross: Jack Dunne; Mark O'Gorman, Robert Nolan, Páuric O'Gorman; David O'Keeffe, Alan Nolan, Pat Nolan (capt.); Barry O'Gorman, Stephen Stafford; Shane Doyle, Darren Carty, Ian Carty (0-1); Pierce Doyle (0-4, 3 frees), Stephen O'Gorman (1-3), Mick O'Gorman (1-0). Sub. - T.J. Codd for Mick O'Gorman.

Referee: Aiden O'Brien (Cloughbawn).

Wexford People

Promoted Links