Tuesday 17 September 2019

Leacy leads the Barntown surge

All-County Football League Semi-Finals: Glynn-Barntown 3-13 Horeswood 1-9

James Stafford of Glynn-Barntown races away from Horeswood defender David O’Shea
James Stafford of Glynn-Barntown races away from Horeswood defender David O’Shea

Michael Heffernan, Division 1 in Killurin

Glynn-Barntown booked their spot in the All-County Football League Division 1 final against Castletown with a dominant victory over Horeswood in Killurin on Sunday.

It was evident early on that this game was only going one way as the victors were all over their opponents right from the start, running up a five-point lead in the early stages in an assured style.

Horeswood just couldn't match the home side who had John Leacy pulling the strings from centre-back, and Aaron Kehoe and Robbie Dempsey doing the damage in front of goals.

Ian Moran was unlucky not to find the net midway through the half when his low shot whizzed past the post, but he made up for it in the two minutes that followed, hitting the net twice to give his side an eleven-point lead.

The visitors had barely worked the ball into the opposition half of the field when P.J. Banville finally got them off the mark after 19 minutes, but a killer blow was delivered shortly afterwards when Aaron Kehoe hit Glynn-Barntown's third goal with a tidy finish.

Kehoe and Dempsey continued to hit the target before the break while Dale Flynn managed to get inside the home side's defence and find the net, leaving twelve between them at the break.

There was just too much for Horeswood to do at this stage, but they kept battling and put up a much better show in the second-half.

P.J. Banville was deadly accurate from placed balls and Colin Nolan, Eddie Shiely and Darren Shannon put in some Trojan work to create scoring chances, and it paid dividends as they actually outscored their opponents for the remainder of the game.

But it was always going to be Glynn-Barntown's night as Robbie Dempsey finished off an excellent display of point-taking with three late scores to wrap things up.

Glynn-Barntown: Ben O'Shea; Nigel Usher, Pádraig Donnelly, Shane Doyle; James Stafford, John Leacy (0-1), Alan Cowman; Michael Doyle, Brendan Doyle; Rioghan Crosbie, Barry Doyle (0-1), Fionn Cooney; Ian Moran (2-0), Aaron Kehoe (1-4, 0-1 free), Robbie Dempsey (0-7, 3 frees). Subs. - Daire Barron for Moran, Matthew Banville for Crosbie.

Horeswood: Conor Swaine; Kevin Parker, David O'Shea, Eamon O'Sullivan; Eddie Shiely, Johnny Keating, Barry Hearn; Colin Nolan, P.J. Banville (0-6 frees); Gavin Murphy, Darren Shannon (0-2), Dale Flynn (1-0); Jamie Myler, Michael O'Hanlon, Eric Banville (0-1).

Referee: Philip Murphy (Faythe Harriers).

Wexford People