Wednesday 13 December 2017

Lee seals deal

Redmond’s goal is decisive

Dave Devereux

Winning captain David Pettit with Ger Hore and Bobby Goff
Winning captain David Pettit with Ger Hore and Bobby Goff
The shield-winning Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's Juvenile hurling team

A more economical Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's outfit overcame the brave effort of Moguegeen Gaels to capture the Enniscorthy Guardian Juvenile hurling Roinn 2 shield in Taghmon.

Our Lady's Island/St. Fintan's 3-11 Moguegeen Gaels 1-11

When playing with the wind in the first-half, the Fethard and Clongeen combination hit eight wides and added five to that tally after the interval, compared to four in total by their opponents.

Having said that, the game was in the balance until time added on, with a 61st-minute goal from Lee Redmond finally sealing the deal for the Wexford District side.

OLI/St. Fintan's made a good start playing into the teeth of a strong wind and the impressive David Pettit began as he was to continue, when popping over the opening score inside two minutes.

They had the green flag waving in the fifth minute, when Liam Crowley steered the ball beyond the advancing goalkeeper after being found by Lee Redmond. Seconds later Moguegeen Gaels got off the mark thanks to a Cian Byrne free, but David Pettit did likewise at the other end.

Free-takers Byrne and Pettit again swapped points from placed balls, before they both showed what they could do from play, with the OLI/St. Fintan's marksmen floating over a fine point in the 29th minute and the Moguegeen sharp-shooter responding a minute later.

Brian Dillon ensured another name would be inscribed on the scoresheet as the clock ticked into first-half injury time when he fired over a good point from the left wing, and Aaron Murphy converted a long-range free seconds later to reduce the gap to two.

However, points from James Newport and David Pettit restored the four-point cushion as the sides switched ends with the scoreboard reading 1-6 to 0-5.

Moguegeen Gaels looked like they had it all to do as they turned around to face into a testing breeze, but they began the half with real fire in their bellies.

Cian Byrne slotted over two points either side of a David Pettit effort and the Gaels got the fillip they needed in the 37th minute when Robbie Rochford grabbed a goal to draw them level, collecting a pass from Conor McGee and rifling the ball to the right-hand corner of the net.

Three minutes later they were ahead for the first time, when Cian Byrne floated over a free, but OLI/St. Fintan's then enjoyed a ten-minute purple patch that put them back in the ascendancy.

A David Pettit free drew them level, before a fortuitous goal put them firmly in the driving seat midway through the half.

Ben Popplewell took aim for the posts from wide on the right, but his effort dropped short and found the net after deflecting off the stick of a defender.

There was nothing fortunate about Popplewell's next contribution though as he arrowed over a point in the 51st minute to give his side a four-point advantage (2-9 to 1-8).

Two Cian Byrne frees brought Moguegeen Gaels back within two in the 59th minute, but after David Pettit had converted a placed ball, Lee Redmond collected a long Pettit delivery and hit the back of the net to kick-start the celebrations.

Brian Dillon fired over the last point for a battling Moguegeen Gaels, but it wasn't to be their day.

OLI/St. Fintan's: Brian Moore; Ben Popplewell (1-1), Eoin Goff, Tommy Wickham; Dean Corish, Josh Burke, Jess Codd; Jason Devereux, James O'Leary; Shane Pettit, James Newport (0-1), Adam Mullins; Liam Crowley (1-0), Lee Redmond (1-0), David Pettit (capt., 0-9, 5 frees). Subs. - Leigh Newport for Mullins, Seán Donovan for Wickham, Mikey Cullen for Donovan, also Jack O'Leary.

Moguegeen Gaels: Rory Whelan; Shane Byrne, Seán Walsh, Jimmy Molloy; Cian O'Grady-Fortune, Aaron Murphy (0-1 free), Ryan Molloy; Oisín Rooney, Adam Waters (capt.); Dylan Whelan, Brian Dillon (0-2), Stephen Dundon; Cian Byrne (0-8, 6 frees), Conor McGee, Robbie Rochford (1-0). Subs. - Seamie Kiely for Dundon, Alex McKeown for O'Grady-Fortune, also James Whelan, Andy Liu, Michael Dundon, Matthew Berney-McCrea, Patrick Whelan.

Referee: Mick Lanigan (Shelmaliers).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links