Thursday 19 September 2019

Leinster 'B' win for Oylegate-Glenbrien

Oylegate-Glenbrien 2-9 Ballinderreen 0-8

The Oylegate-Glenbrien squad celebrate after winning the Leinster Junior ‘B’ hurling title in Raheenagh, Co. Limerick, on Saturday
The Oylegate-Glenbrien squad celebrate after winning the Leinster Junior ‘B’ hurling title in Raheenagh, Co. Limerick, on Saturday

Michael Heffernan in Raheenagh

Oylegate-Glenbrien were crowned Leinster champions after coming out on top in a battle with Ballinderreen of Galway in the provincial final of the unofficial Junior 'B' hurling tournament organised by the Killeedy club in Raheenagh, Co. Limerick, on Saturday.

The Wexford champions looked the stronger side from the early stages of the game, but after going in at the break with a four-point lead, and a numerical advantage, they were put through a titanic struggle from a dogged Ballinderreen side who reduced the gap to two points with ten minutes remaining.

However, things swung back in the blues' favour when Pierce Murphy found the net with his first touch, moments after being introduced.

This spurred the eventual winners on no end, and they finished out the game strongly for a well-deserved win.

Marty Kelly opened proceedings in impressive style with an inspirational long-range effort minutes before Tomás Cosgrave flicked the ball past his marker and finished to the net with seven minutes gone.

Opposing free-takers, Barry Dunne and Aidan Duffy, swapped scores on two occasions before Kelly, Cosgrave and Dunne added further points, leaving seven between the sides minutes before the break.

The Galway champions then began to make inroads as Duffy struck three without reply, but they were also reduced to 14 men in this period after solid full-back, Patrick Lane, was sent to the line for an off-the-ball incident.

The leaders probably felt confident of increasing their four-point lead in the new half but they actually seemed to be struggling as Ballinderreen threw everything they had at them, making for a dogged third quarter which the Galway champions shaded, reducing the gap to two points thanks to the accuracy of Duffy.

The boys in blue weren't lying down however, and with Marty Kelly playing a captain's role they began to thwart the opposition's advances.

And, when Murphy flicked the ball to the net, it was both inspiring for his side as well as a killer blow for Ballinderreen who all of a sudden had just too much to do.

The winners finished out the half with further points from Murphy and Dunne and, thanks to fine performances from Marty Kelly, Tomás Cosgrave and Aidan Murphy, they claimed the club's first provincial title much to the delight of their large following.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Eddie Mernagh; Aidan Murphy, Pádraig O'Connor, Evan Kelly; Peter Rowley, Niall Parker, Garry Conroy; Marty Kelly (0-2), Anthony Doyle; Conor Nolan, Patrick Cullen, Barry Dunne (0-5, 4 frees, 1 '65); Tomás Cosgrave (1-1), Eoin O'Mahoney, Joe Dunne. Subs. - Trevor Moulton for O'Mahoney, inj. (27), Pierce Murphy (1-1) for Moulton (49).

Ballinderreen: Colin Kelly; Niall Gill, Patrick Lane, Jack Tully; Conor Carty, Patrick Carr, Gavin Duffy (0-2 frees); Aidan Linnane, Alan Organ; Colm Gill, Gary Forde, Aidan Duffy (0-6, 5 frees); Pádraig Lafferty, Kevin Coen, Hugh Moylan. Subs. - Seán Corcoran for Lafferty (HT), Keith Carr for Coen (35), Gary Molloy for A. Duffy (43), Keith Carr for C. Gill.

Referee: Mike Sexton (Limerick).

Wexford People