Saturday 24 February 2018

Marshalstown secure first win

Dean Goodison in Bree

Marshalstown-Castledockreall picked up their first win of the season in a topsy-turvy game against Clongeen in the Top Oil Intermediate 'A' hurling championship at Bree on Friday.

Marshalstwon-C'dockreel 4-12 Clongeen 3-13

No fewer than six lead changes occurred throughout a thoroughly entertaining 60-plus minutes of committed hurling played in perfect conditions between two teams desperate for a win to get their campaigns back on track.

Playing in a changed black jersey, Marshalstown-Castledockrell responded to an early '65 from the almost unstoppable Emmet Kent by goaling when Colm Bennett found the net after Ricky Rochford had initially saved Michael Kinsella's effort.

The Farmleigh-based side remained in front until Kent drove at their rearguard from deep, committed defenders and smashed past Joe Swaine. Three points from Gary O'Grady were on the scoreboard for Clongeen as they used a helping zephyr to lead by 1-8 to 1-6 at the interval.

Michael Kinsella made a nuisance of himself all evening and got his just desserts when he smacked a breaking ball to the rigging in the 33rd minute.

The full-forward's second goal seven minutes later padded the lead but it proved to be their last score for ten minutes.

In that time Clongeen responded with goals from Gary O'Grady and a second Kent strike, in a run of 2-3 without reply, to again hit the front with ten minutes to go (3-13 to 3-8). Yet, they failed to score again and a Colm Bennett goal and point, as well as a brace from Eoin Bennett, edged Marshalstown-Castledockrell over the line.

After the mid-season break Clongeen will face Our Lady's Island in a critical game if they wish to avoid a relegation play-off. For the victors a win next time out against Monageer-Boolavogue may well secure a quarter-final spot that seemed improbable after two games.

Marshalstown-Castledockrell: Joe Swaine; Tom Bennett, Johnny Frayne, Jack Quigley; John Ormonde, Patrick Kinsella, Joe Kelly; John Cullen (0-1), Mick Morris; Eoin Bennett (capt., 0-6, 3 frees, 2 '65s), Colm Bennett (2-1), Darragh Kehoe (0-2); Adam Harte, Michael Kinsella (2-0), James Finn (0-2). Sub. - Mark Kehoe for Ormonde, inj. (58).

Clongeen: Ricky Rochford; Danny O'Grady, Donal Whelan, Marty Reville; Tom Donovan, Paudie Cullen, Cathal Murphy; Paul Curtis, Donal Murphy; Enda Murphy (0-1), Emmet Kent (capt., 2-5, 0-1 free, 0-1 '65), Gary O'Grady (1-4, 0-4 frees); Paudie Cahill (0-2), Christopher Cullen (0-1 line ball), Collie Byrne. Subs. - Jamesie Rochford for Donovan (39), Stephen Curtis for C. Murphy (39), Peter Anthony Wall for Reville (58), Donovan for Curtis, inj, (60).

Referee: Anthony Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links