Wednesday 24 January 2018

Martin's on fire after break

Dave Devereux

St. Martin's came to life after the interval to comfortably ease past Clongeen in Taghmon on Friday evening and book their place in the last four of the Enniscorthy Farms Systems Junior 'A' football championship.

St. Martin's 3-10 Clongeen 1-4

When the sides switched ends with Clongeen leading by 1-3 to 1-2 it looked like a close contest was on the cards, but St. Martin's had an extra gear and outscored their opponents by 2-8 to a solitary point in the second-half.

In fact, the New Ross District outfit could have suffered an even heavier defeat, but for a succession of superb saves from goalkeeper Danny Redmond.

Clongeen actually began the game quite well and took a 1-1 to 0-1 advantage in the eighth minute when Tony Bennett blasted a penalty to the left-hand corner of the net after Willie McDonald had been taken down in the area.

The lively Darren Codd then popped over a point for St. Martin's after a mazy run, and Alan Kehoe edged them in front with a goal on 17 minutes.

Kehoe gathered a pass from Dylan Byrne and had one thing on his mind as he powered towards goal and confidently stroked the ball to the net.

Points from Tommy O'Gorman and Tony Bennett gave Clongeen a slender half-time lead but whatever was said during the break worked the oracle for St. Martin's and they completely bossed the second period.

Diarmuid Byrne really found his stride, knocking over four points, while the direct running of centre-forward Richard Devereux troubled the Clongeen rearguard.

The number 11 bagged St. Martin's second goal in the 49th minute when he weaved his way through the Clongeen defence before planting the ball in the back of the net.

Ian Curran put the icing on the cake in the final minute when he was found by fellow substitute David Higgins and fired the ball beyond goalkeeper Danny Redmond.

St. Martin's: Brad Cohen; Pádraig Rossiter, John Coleman, Tony Kelly; Donal Kelly, Kevin Price, Johnny Hamilton; Pádraig Morrissey, Luke White; Darren Codd (0-3), Richard Devereux (1-1), Diarmuid Byrne (0-4, 2 frees); Conor Coleman (0-1), Alan Kehoe (1-1), Dylan Byrne. Subs. - David Higgins for Byrne, Ian Curran (1-0) for Coleman, James Boggan for Morrissey.

Clongeen: Danny Redmond; Patrick Whelan, Donal Murphy, Danny O'Grady; Tom Donovan, Marty Reville, Tommy O'Gorman (0-1); Peter Anthony Wall, Shane Kilkenny; Joe Toomey, Paul O'Grady, Martin Delaney; Mick Keating, Tony Bennett (1-3, 1-0 pen., 0-1 free), Willie McDonald. Subs. - Dean Donnelly for Keating, Robert King for P. O'Grady.

Referee: Henry Sinnott (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links