Saturday 16 December 2017

Martin's run riot to underline potential

Brendan Furlong

Paudie Kelly of St.Martin's races away from Sean Barden
Paudie Kelly of St.Martin's races away from Sean Barden

St. Martin's can look forward to a last four outing as a result of this comprehensive victory over a disappointing Adamstown outfit in this one-sided Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship quarter-final at O'Kennedy Park, New Ross, on Saturday.

St,Martin's 0-17 Adamstown 0-3

The slickness of the St. Martin's side is a major plus in their quest for eventual glory, as once they withstood the early Adamstown challenge, the game went on to become so one-sided that it was only a matter of what the final scoreline would be.

Adamstown, without inter-county pair James Breen (suspended) and Michael Furlong (cruciate knee injury), set up in defensive mode in an effort to absorb the early St. Martin's challenge.

This they managed through the opening quarter but once the eventual winners got to the pace of the game they outsmarted their opponents with slick deliveries into open space, leaving the result a foregone conclusion by the interval.

St. Martin's would have liked a more stern challenge in preparation for the semi-final but the style of their play still suggests they carry sufficient big guns to deliver a serious title challenge.

The sides exchanged two points each inside the opening six minutes. Ryan Murphy (free) and Ciarán Lyng were on target for the eventual winners, while Paddy Whitty responded with both Adamstown points, but his second on four minutes was their last score for some 54 minutes.

In the second quarter St. Martin's played some serious football with Ciarán Lyng lofting over three fine points, to go alongside efforts from Ciaran Redmond (two, one free) and Ryan Murphy to lead by 0-8 to 0-2 at the interval.

The performance of St. Martin's was even more clinical on the resumption. Jake Firman and Murphy added two quick-fire points on the resumption, and by the end of the third quarter they had stormed into a 0-13 to 0-2 lead.

It had become a totally one-sided game of football, as St. Martin's attacked incessantly with Adamstown offering little in the way of resistance.

Playing with great commitment, St. Martin's could even afford the luxury of substituting both star performers, Daithí Waters and Ciarán Lyng, during the second period.

They were still leading by 0-15 to 0-2 when Adamstown had their first score since the fourth minute, a 58th-minute Paddy Whitty pointed free.

But just to demonstrate their dominance, the eventual winners closed out the scoring with points from Ciarán Redmond and Rory O'Connor, ending a totally forgettable game of football.

Since the start of the championship, St. Martin's have been the favourites of many for the title, and they did nothing to damage those aspirations, as they will be a major player in the semi-final stages.

St. Martin's: Tomás Hayes; Harry O'Connor, Willie Devereux, Mark Maloney; Jack O'Connor (0-1), Daithí Hayes, Aaron Maddock; Daithí Waters, Stephen Murphy (0-1); Jamie Carty (0-1), Paudie Kelly, Jake Firman (0-1); Ciarán Redmond (0-4, 2 frees), Ciaran Lyng (0-4), Ryan Murphy (0-4, 1 free). Subs. - Joe O'Connor for D. Hayes, inj., Rory O'Connor (0-1) for Lyng, Patrick O'Connor for Maloney, Edward O'Byrne for Waters, Conor Firman for H. O'Connor, Maloney for Maddock, inj.

Adamstown: Alan Bradley; Kieran Finn, M.J. Cooper, Johnny Connors; Barry Power, Lorcan French, Seán Barden; Shane O'Gorman, Tony French; P.J. Carroll, Paudie Barden, Thomas Shannon; Conor Hickey, Paddy Whitty (0-3, 1 free), Tomás Harrington. Subs. - Andrew Boland for L. French, Peter Finn for Shannon, Michael Curtis for Connors, Liam Stafford for Power, Michael Boland for Harrington.

Referee: Frankie Morrissey (Glynn-Barntown).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links