Tuesday 12 December 2017

Martin's seconds make final with ease

Brendan Furlong

St. Martin's set out their stall from a very early stage, eventually cruising to a most comfortable 21-point victory over a poor Monageer-Boolavogue outfit in this Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'B' football championship semi-final at Bree on Friday.

St.Martin's 2-17 Monageer-Boolavogue 0-2

The Wexford District side used their class and speed to outplay their opponents, and their outfield dominanceensured they enjoyed an abundance of possession, enabling them to run in scores at will as their opponents only offered token resistance.

St. Martin's showed they were out to atone for last year's county final disappointment as they raced into a 0-3 to nil lead inside the opening six minutes through points from Micheál Lyng, Darren Codd and a Pádraig Morrissey free. With the opposition unable to get the ball beyond midfield they had little opportunity in attack, and as a result they trailed by 0-7 to nil after 20 minutres.

The eventual winners were by this stage playing with increased confidence, leading to an Eoin Rackard 27th-minute goal that helped them to a 1-9 to nil interval lead.

A similar pattern was to follow through the second period as the youthful St. Martin's played some fast and skilful attacking football, adding early points through Seán Stafford and Alan Kehoe, while their opponents were reduced to 14 players after 37 minutes with attacker Mick Ivory red carded. One minute later they had their opening point from James Donohoe but they still trailed by 1-11 to 0-1 at this stage.

St. Martin's continued to enjoy total dominance, resulting in a Darren Codd 43rd-minute goal, while one minute later, Keith Swaine received a second yellow card. With the Eniscorthy District side now down to 13 players, the game became even more one-sided, so much so that Monageer-Boolavogue only registered their second score - an Adrian O'Dowd pointed free - in additional time.

St. Martin's will now aim to go one better than last year when Ballyhogue beat them in the county final.

St. Martin's: Nicky Greene; Páraic Rositer (0-1), Kevin Price, Tomás Coleman; Mikey Coleman, Johnny Hamilton, Tony Kelly; Pádraig Morrissey (0-2 frees), Barry O'Connor (0-3); Darren Codd (1-3, 0-2 frees), Darragh Rossiter, Seán Stafford (0-2, 1 free); Eoin Rackard (1-2), Micheál Lyng (0-1), Conor Coleman (0-1). Subs. - Alan Kehoe (0-2) for C. Coleman, David Higgins for O'Connor, Paudie Fitzmaurice for Codd, Paddy Curran for D. Rossiter, Mark Hayes for Hamilton.

Monageer-Boolavogue: Daire Turner; Keith Swaine, Barry Miller, Seán Doran; Morgan Gahan, Peadar Lacey, Dermot Breen; James Donohoe (0-1), Patrick Walsh; Johnny Squance, John Ivory, Paudie Cooney; Peter Mernagh, Mick Ivory, Shane Gahan. Subs. - James Walsh for Breen, Aidan Gahan for Walsh, Adrian O'Dowd (0-1 free) for Squance, Morgan Rowsome for Mernagh.

Referee: George Dee (Taghmon-Camross).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links