Saturday 17 August 2019

Minors make their exit

The Wexford Minor team suffered a six-point loss against a very strong Kilkenny side in Thomastown on Saturday in the All Ireland 'A' camogie championship.

Kilkenny 1-13 Wexford 1-7

It's the third defeat in a row for James Flynn's charges and is a result that means the Slaneysiders can no longer qualify for the semi-finals with only a game against Clare to come.

Kilkenny's joint captain Ciara Phelan wasted no time when she notched up her side's first point in the opening seconds, with further points coming from Marguerite Hoynes, Jenny Clifford and Jenny O'Neill.

Wexford registered their first score in the fourth minute, as a free awarded when Sarah O'Connor was fouled saw Ellen Roche and Leah Walsh combine with Róisín Kelly striking over the bar for a well-taken point.

A strong attack by Kilkenny four minutes later saw Sarah Kent send a lovely ball into Jenny Clifford who palmed it into the Wexford net, but the goal was disallowed as she was ajudged to have thrown it - a let-off for Wexford.

Chloe Foxe then found Róisín Kelly who popped it over the bar for her second.

Kilkenny added another point from Chloe Blackmore before Wexford clawed back with a pointed free from Foxe in the 15th minute to put just two between the sides.

Kilkenny's passing was superb and their quick handpassing to get out of trouble saw two more points added by Jenny Clifford.

Wexford did keep in contention with two pointed frees from Chloe Foxe to see her side in at the interval two behind (0-7 to 0-5).

Kilkenny went on the attack again when play resumed and as Laura Brennan came off her line to save a dangerous incoming ball, Sarah O'Connor reacted quickly to cover back and make a fine save.

Laura Brennan was tested again shortly afterwards and made two terrific saves as Kilkenny were relentless in their attack, but their persistence paid off when Sarah Walsh shot the ball into the Wexford net at very close range. Despite protests from players and spectators that it was a square ball, the goal stood and Wexford found themselves trailing by five.

Kilkenny extended their lead with two further points from Chloe Blackmore, one from a free. Wexford were finding it difficult to gain possession as Kilkenny always seemed to get to the ball first, but a good run by Amy Cardiff set up Róisín Kelly who struck it beautifully and straight over the bar in the 46th minute.

Chloe Foxe added a further point for Wexford from a placed ball a minute later but this was cancelled out by Laura Murphy. Chloe Blackmore added another Kilkenny point before a lovely piece of work between Chloe Foxe and Laura Dempsey saw Una Sinnott shoot to the net to put just four points between the sides.

This seemed to lift Wexford and they worked hard to try to get more scores, but Kilkenny finished strongest with two more Blackmore points end up six points ahead as the final whistle sounded.

Wexford will be disappointed with their performance as they seemed to be second to the ball most of the time.

That being said, Kilkenny were very strong in all areas of the field and put on a very polished performance.

Wexford: Laura Brennan; Lauren Carty, Sarah O'Connor, Leanne Foley; Amy Cardiff, Doireann Kavanagh, Rachel Kelly; Una Sinnott (1-0), Niamh Walsh; Aoife Doyle, Ellen Roche, Chloe Foxe (0-4 frees); Róisín Kelly (0-3), Laura Dempsey, Leah Walsh. Subs. - Sorcha Foley for Doyle, Róisín Shanahan for L. Walsh, Chloe Cashe for R. Kelly.

Kilkenny: Kirsty Maher; Róisín Phelan, Katie Nolan, Miriam Bambrick; Sarah Kent, Eilish Regan, Ciara Phelan (0-1); Laura Murphy (0-1), Jenny O'Neill (0-1); Sarah Walsh (1-0), Kelly Ann Doyle, Jenny Clifford (0-3); Edel Doonan, Marguerite Hoynes (0-1), Chloe Blackmore (0-6, 2 frees). Subs. - Aoife O'Carroll for Hoynes, Michelle Teehan for O'Neill.

Referee: Mike Sheehan (Cork).

Wexford People

Most Read