Monday 20 November 2017

Moguegeen lads run riot

Combination in super form

Dean Goodison

Successful captain Aaron Murphy Noel O’Keeffe and Dean Goodison
Successful captain Aaron Murphy Noel O’Keeffe and Dean Goodison
Celebration time for the Moguegeen Gaels contingent

Pre-game there was very little to suggest the stroll Moguegeen Gaels would have against Cloughbawn in the Gorey Guardian Juvenile football Roinn 2 shield final in Taghmon.

Moguegeen Gaels 2-16 Cloughbawn 0-2

Both sides had their wins and disappointments on the way to this point.

They both lost two group games, they both qualified for the shield competition after losing their championship quarter-finals, and both were relatively comfortable in reaching this final.

That's where the similarities end as the Fethard/Clongeen combination blitzed an off-form Cloughbawn from the first whistle, building a 1-8 to nil interval lead with some superb teamwork and clever football, before racing away to take the title after the break.

There was no weak link for the victors, as everyone on the field contributed to this win.

In defence, the back six were just too quick and too clever for their opponents. In attack the score-taking was exceptional.

It did take them a little while to find their feet. It was 0-3 to nil at the end of the opening quarter after scores from Cian Byrne, Adam Waters and Cian O'Grady-Fortune - whose name was appropriate with three points during the game that registered off the uprights.

Robbie Rochford flashed over his opener in the 16th minute and Brian Dillon also raised a white flag before O'Grady-Fortune slipped Conor McGee in and the Moguegeen centre-forward rattled the net.

The interval whistle came at a good time for Cloughbawn but it didn't halt their opponents' momentum. A brace each from O'Grady-Fortune and McGee helped make it 1-13 to nil after 41 minutes.

After Johnny Connors shot wide for Cloughbawn, they finally grabbed their first point, an Eanna Doyle score after Gary Kehoe fed him into the clear.

Moguegeen added their second goal seven minutes from time when a marauding McGee run ended with him firing a bullet to the top corner.

Trailing by 2-16 to 0-1, Clougbawn kept battling. Connors forced Jimmy Molloy to save after James Flood's long-range effort skidded off the post. They did add a late Stephen Casserly free but it was scant consolation at the end of a disappointing evening for the Castleboro boys.

Moguegeen Gaels: Jimmy Molloy; Shane Byrne, Seán Walsh, Stephen Dundon; Dylan Whelan, Aaron Murphy (capt.), Ryan Molloy; Brian Dillon (0-1), Oisín Rooney; Robbie Rochford (0-2), Conor McGee (2-3, 0-2 frees), Adam Waters (0-3, 2 frees); David Corish, Cian O'Grady-Fortune (0-6), Cian Byrne (0-1). Subs. - James Whelan for C. Byrne (50), Alex McKeown for S. Byrne (55), Andy Liu for R. Molloy (56), Seamie Kiely for Corish (57), also Seán Chapman, Oggie Doyle, Michael Dundon, Matthew Berney-McCrea, Patrick Whelan.

Cloughbawn: Jack Feeney; Liam Flood, James Flood, Michael Murphy; Shane Kehoe, Stephen Casserly (capt., 0-1 free), Jack Fleming; Kyle Murphy, Nick Walkden; Gary Kehoe, Eanna Doyle (0-1), Paddy Whitty; Aaron Kelly, Johnny Connors, Dylan O'Neill. Subs. - Fionn Codd for O'Neill (26), Conor Flood for Kelly (40), John Connors for Walkden (45), Ryan Murphy for M. Murphy (49), Ciarán Murphy for Kehoe (52), also Mikey Fleming, Nick Kavanagh.

Referee: Damien Donovan (Volunteers).

Wexford People

Promoted Links